Leo lion relaxing in the sun

I haven’t posted in a while. This one has been sat on my easel for nearly a year not quite finished, I’ve just not felt the inspiration to sit and draw. Well here’s the finished pastel, drawn on light
grey Clairefontaine pastel mat using a selection of pastel pencils. With thanks to my friend Paula Stribling wildlife photographer for allowing me her photo for reference. Deb

9 Likes

very good work, it has great detail keep up the good job

Hi Daniel,
Thankyou
I use the grid method which you could say is a form of tracing to get the outline and to mark out eye placement. The rest is done free hand. Deb

Thankyou Jim for your comment. Deb

Wow. This is great. I love it .

You would have had to wait a long time. It’s been on and off for a year. I normally start with the left hand top side. I’m right handed. Ear first, eyes in next. Then start with the different colours as I work down the page, building up the layers as I go. It could still do with some more darks in but, I was starting to fiddle and faff so time to leave alone. Deb

Thankyou for your comment. Deb

Wow! Very Beautiful! Congratulations for finishing.:cherry_blossom:

Thank you Patty. Deb

I have never considered the grid method a form of tracing. You still have to draw if using that method. You are talented and should take credit for your abilities.

Thankyou Jody for your compliment. Deb

A beautiful rendition of a lion who looks like he is just watching others and maybe it was his pride.

Thankyou Lenora for your comment. Deb

OUTSTANDING WORK, DEBRA!
This would look great in most galleries. Thanks for posting!
Jack

Thankyou Jack, one day it might happen. Deb

I am having to learn to draw and paint with my non-dominant hand. No matter which hand I use the light source seems to be wrong. Have shadow when I do. I think part of that is because the light source is basically behind me. Not sure what I can do to correct this. You’ve done an excellent job in capturing his face and what he is doing. Looks like he is trying to decide if he wants to get into a pride or watching other male lions.

Lenora

It comes in handy when you have a wildlife photographer as a friend who knows how to use a camera to produce a lovely photo. Deb

I think that is great. I drew a small picture of a lion sitting down, but when I look at it the body is more human (ribs). LOL! Lenora