Live lesson - French bulldog in oils

Love seeing everyone’s work in progress, here’s mine so far. I used the cobra artist water mixable oils. Any tips on how to color match better would be very appreciated.

1 Like

Really awesome, i love seeing the progress :grin:

I won’t be around on Wednesday for Gettin Sketchy or the live lesson. I’ll have to catch up once the live lesson is posted. I will certainly miss the chat and being with everyone. I’ll be back the next week!

Brenda

2 Likes

we will miss you! I wonder what gettin sketchy will be this week

1 Like

I’ll be excited to see Gettin Sketchy. It’s hard to imagine a one-minute sketch and then a 30-minute drawing that I’d do! It’s the one-minute sketch—mine would maybe be a couple of lines. :star_struck:

I’ll miss y’all!

Brenda

1 Like

You will be missed Brenda for sure!!

1 Like

My updated doggo in oil.

2 Likes

wow - that is looking amazing! My bulldog is not very completed yet!

Here’s where I am. I wanted to see both eyes, so I went there. :slight_smile: I’m still working on transparency and smoothness of texture. I didn’t paint along on Wednesday, so I haven’t really done the face wrinkles or highlights, etc. I’m still contemplating starting over since I have a better feel for the medium.

Brenda

1 Like

Beautiful works in progress everyone!!!

I’m finally able to sit down and work on Roscoe. I’m way behind, but I just finished touching up the left side of the face and head. I hope to do more tomorrow. And my goal is to get completely caught up by next Wednesday for the glazing process.

1 Like

Just a little more. I’ve begun wandering on my own. LOL! I hope I don’t wander to far!

Brenda

1 Like

Brenda i just love his eyes!!! Your doing an amazing job. :clap:
I look forward to seeing Roscoe progress, again just super!

Thank you so much. It has been a real challenge. I’m excited to finish and see what the final version looks like. I’m about to post another in-progress pic.

Brenda

1 Like

This felt like a weird place to stop, but it is where I am at this point. I think my Roscoe has a fatter face than the photo reference, and probably a few boo-boos here and there, but onward!

1 Like

I think hes awesome and your doing beautifully! So excited for you!! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Brenda

wow - that’s looking great! I have decided to just enjoy watching and not going to finish mine!

1 Like

Thank you, June!!! He’s turning out better than I ever thought he would. I understand why you’re going to just enjoy the process. After working on it, I see that other mediums wouldn’t give a similar result. I’m excited for Wednesday night! I’ll probably have to just watch. I think he’s going to do glazing, and my painting won’t be dry enough for that. I still have last week’s lesson to do.

Brenda

I’m in a love-hate relationship with Roscoe. I’ve been super frustrated so many times. I have finally taken over the process, watching the recorded lessons for some guidance, but I’ve made the process my own as of today. At some point, I had to add black to my palette because I had lost way too many of the places I needed to leave the canvas showing for the darkest areas. I also took the reference photo into photoshop and raised the shadows, saturated the colors a little more, and added some detail to his lower face area including the collar. Today, I began the addition of fur, and swung to the hate side again. LOL! I am taking a break from it for a while. I know myself, though. I’ll be back in here messing with it before the day is done.

All that said, I am SO glad I opted to do this lesson. I have learned so very much and realize that I might enjoy the occasional lesson or project in oils. I think I’ll do some of the beginning lessons in Ashley’s oil pain course on the site to get a better feel for more techniques. Ashley is an amazing instructor just as Matt is. They are the dynamic art duo as far as I’m concerned.

At least Roscoe has not headed to the trash ONE TIME in all this process. :slight_smile:
Brenda

1 Like