Live lesson - French bulldog in oils

I love the typo in my last post and opted not to fix it. It says “Ashley’s oil PAIN course!” LOL! It has been painful at times.

Brenda

2 Likes

Brenda!!! Omg, soooooo awesome!!! I think Roscoe is amazing! For being flustered you certainly persevered, i really like that you “worked the problems” you felt you had as this is a beauty! I really think you just might have a nak for oils! Thank you for sharing. :hugs:

1 Like

Brenda - I’m so grateful that you have posted your progression through the Roscoe project. It’s also really helpful to hear when you are frustrated because I feel that way so often myself. I can’t tell you how many things of my own sit unfinished because I’m not happy with it. I am finding that most of the time you just need to stand back, take some time to look, and then keep working on it. All of a sudden you realize you love it. Your painting is really looking good. I absolutely love the eyes. As soon as I finish my current drawing, I will be starting my own Roscoe painting. I have the drawing done and supplies gathered.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I have set Roscoe aside for now, to dry mainly. I will add his whiskers at least, and will darken up the muzzle area. I do plan to do the glazing. I’m pretty sure that will make me happy and satisfied with the result. It truly has been a great learning experience!

Brenda

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to seeing your Roscoe. As I said above, he is drying for now. I’ll add his whiskers and darken his muzzle before I do the glazing. I’m thinking after glazing he will make me happy with my results. I will also add a satin varnish in a few months. I want to see the project through to the end. It’s like Matt said, I realize how important it is to finish the artwork, especially one like this that has been a real challenge.

Good luck to you with Roscoe and ALL your creative endeavors.

Brenda

1 Like

Brenda - wow! I certainly hope he doesn’t end up in the trash. He looks pretty amazing! I did not finish as was not having much success with the oil pastels.

Enjoy Ashley’s oil pain class! lol

1 Like

Thanks, June!! I will likely never trash another project unless it’s so I can begin again. :crazy_face: Roscoe has been a challenge. I’m very interested in seeing how he looks after glazing. I also bought varnish which I’ll apply in a few months. He’s my entry-level oil!!! Pain and all. LOL!

I wish you had been able to make the oil pastels work, but I now understand why that medium might not lend itself to the technique of scumbling. I think you know which materials make you happy, and that’s the important thing for me. When I went back to working on Sally the cat, it felt like going home. So peaceful and familiar. :heart: onward!

Brenda

He’s looking pretty good. My version still needs texture and glazing and a bit more scumbling on his jowl. I like to use oil paints but typically with the direct method. I don’t think I’d like to do a very large painting using scumbling but I could see using scumbling and glazing in certain situations so they’re good techniques to learn. I look forward to seeing the finished version. This is where I am now.

1 Like

Looking good! I’d love to see it when you finish it. This was my first experience with oils. My Roscoe has now been glazed. I need to do a bit more scumbling and then varnish. I’ll post when I get everything but varnish done.

Thanks for sharing yours! I love seeing everyone’s interpretations.

Brenda

Brenda

Yes, I also like to see the different interpretations as well.

James

@Brenda @Queeny107 @jcfuller @lenetg137 @junenez @robichon

Everyone’s work looks so impressive and Unique. I just found this thread. Can’t believe that I missed it. I will post mine when I finally get the medium that I need to glaze over to complete ‘Sir Roscoe Pierre’. It should get here this week!!

See everyone next Wednesday!!

Teri

2 Likes

This is looking great. I haven’t started mine yet but it’s on my must do list. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Finally finished, except for varnish which will be done in a couple of months. It will only serve to tone down some of the glossiness. I bought a satin varnish so that it should look like a soft, furry, doggy. :slight_smile:

There isn’t a lot of texture on mine. I found it to be too frustrating and felt like I might ruin my whole painting. So, it is what it is, and it was a great lesson in oils and scumbling! Thank you, Ashley!

2 Likes

Looks great Brenda. Was fun to look back of the progression of photos as you were working on it.

I have finally gotten around to working on Roscoe. I had the drawing done when the lesson was live, but then stopped to finish other things. This was my first day to paint and the photo shows how far I got. I skipped ahead in the lessons a little to get the eyes painted. So far, so good.

1 Like

Very nice! I look forward to seeing him progress! Have you used oils or scumbling before?

Brenda

Hi Brenda - Thanks so much for looking at my progress on Roscoe and your kind words. I have never done scumbling before. In fact, Roscoe is only my 5th oil painting. In keeping with our mutual love of birds, I have attached one of those oil paintings of a blue jay. I’m really proud of how this turned out and the fact that Matt did a members minute on it (episodes 373 and 374). The main critique was in April 2022. Matt made some recommendations for ways to improve my original painting and after making those changes (as seen here) Matt showed the adjusted work at the beginning of the next episode. It is amazing how much my skills have improved since joining TVI.

1 Like

Your work is amazing, Terri! This bluejay is simply stunning! I haven’t decided if I’m going to do more oils, but you inspire me!

Brenda

Hi Brenda - Thank you so much. Both oils and acrylics scare me, which is why I’ve done so few of them. In college I was an interior design major, and we did rendered drawings of our projects using watercolors. So that’s what I’m most comfortable with. What I’ve been finding out since becoming a member of TVI is that I can use most media as long as the style of the artwork is controlled, realistic looking and I take my time. I’m often not patient enough. I want it to be easier than it is. I do give myself permission to throw things away or not finish them if they are not working out. I may try them again, or just say no way. That’s what I like about being an amateur. Knowing that learning is a process, and it is only by practicing that you can improve your skills. I’ve been practicing a lot in the last few years.

I have been working some more on Roscoe, and here is what he is looking like now (my second Roscoe post). Just have to add the fur texture, wiskers and glazing. Thanks for watching my progress. Terri