Live lesson - French bulldog in oils

I finally got my drawing transferred. I had to finally resort to graphite powder to get it to show up. There are still bits on the background even after using a new kneaded eraser to pick up excess. I may go back over that area with black acrylic so that the background is really black. Part of it is light reflection.

4 Likes

I’m using a 10 x 10 canvas board because it’s what I had on hand.

Oh Brenda i cant wait to see this complete :blush: gonna be awesome!

1 Like

That is looking great! I need to get mine done before next week!

1 Like

Yeah - finally primed my canvas paper and transferred my bulldog. There sure is a lot of light reflection! It doesn’t look like that in person. I will be using the oil pastels - hopefully will have good luck!

3 Likes

Oh oil pastels…cant wait to see the progress! :hugs:

Light reflection!!! I know what you mean! I did go over parts of my background with the black acrylic again which helped where my eraser had left “smudges” and the graphite powder still looked a bit shiny. I am very excited about this project!!! It will be fun to see how different materials behave. :grin: he looks awesome, June!

Brenda

I’m torn about this so far. The values in the color are off quite a bit. No matter what I tried in editing, I couldn’t get the canvas to really show up under the paints. It’s there when I look at it here, but the photo is not accurate. Anyway, if I look at it tomorrow and feeling unhappy, I might actually start over and catch up by next week. I will admit, I’m enjoying the process!!

Brenda

3 Likes

You are ahead of me. I just joined yesterday and have to catch up as well. It may be just me, but it seems that the paint may have been applied a little heavy and that could be why the background is not showing through.

That might be part of it. There is more showing through in the actual painting than in the photo I took. I think tomorrow will tell me what I need to do. Good luck with yours!

Brenda

1 Like

Looking good Brenda! I’m not sure how this is going to go with the oil pastels. I will keep trying

1 Like

That is looking really good to me! Don’t be so hard on yourself! My colors are not at all close and I am going to try and see what I can do about that.

Hi June! I’ve been trying to imagine how oil pastels would work. I think we’re both brave to step out and give it a go!!! I’m pretty sure once I become more familiar with how the oil paints behave, it will make a huge difference. Yours will obviously have a different texture, but it will be art, and it will be YOUR art! I can’t wait to see how it develops. We can do this!

My plan, which evolved as I slept, is to work with the canvas I started on last night to become more familiar with the paints and the scumbling technique. I’ve already primed another canvas board to transfer my drawing to so that I can start again before next week and be caught up by then. I’m excited to play on my existing canvas since I’ve seen the technique and the colors Ashley created.

I have several pieces in progress right now, so I can work on things at different stages to help me keep my level of frustration in check. LOL

We can do this! We are REAL ARTISTS! :heart:

Brenda

1 Like

Yup! We are REAL artists! I am always willing to try stuff with them. I don’t ever expect things be perfect. Do it mostly to learn and then try to apply on my own. I am using the side of my piece to try things out since my paper is bigger. So mine will be quite messy when I’m done

1 Like

Patiently using yesterday’s start to practice on. I remixed my colors, bought a new brush and worked on an eye. I will get this yet!

2 Likes

Nice job Brenda!!! I think it looks amazing! Looking forward to watching the progress. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks so much! It’s a new medium and a new technique. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot!

Brenda

1 Like

Caught up with lesson.

3 Likes

Awesome!! Looking foward to seeing the progress. :blush:

Looking great! The eye makes it come alive!
Mine is a struggle with the oil pastels. but i will continue. Maybe I’ll like it when I’m done! I will enjoy the process!