Ambrosia (Rosie) pet portrait, watercolor pencils and watercolor

I’m starting a portrait of our dog, Rosie. I have the sketch done and hope to begin the process tomorrow. I want to use watercolors and watercolor pencils. Here are the sketch and the reference photo. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

You got a great start. The sketch is great.

1 Like

Thank you, Denise! I’m terrified to put in the first brush stroke. I keep hearing Matt say “don’t be afraid, it’s just paper and pigment.” :grin:

Brenda

1 Like

Wow, the sketch is terrific! I can’t wait to see the finished product :slightly_smiling_face: would love to see it as you progress as well if you don’t mind sharing that.

1 Like

Hi Brenda, your sketch is wonderful. I know what you mean, artists suffer from the same fear as writers: fear of the blank page! Go for it! :blush: :smiley:
Patricia.

Thanks JeneyB! I’ll be posting a progress photo maybe tonight. I’m working on a couple of things right now, so Rosie is only getting half my time. :grin:

Thanks Patricia, for the encouragement! I have dived in, and may have an update later today.

Brenda

Brenda,

I will be watching for the posted progress. Were you inspired to do Rosie in watercolors because of the live lesson series of Stan-Fran the Orangutan?

Teri

Indeed I was, Teri! I am using the exact same colors! :heart_eyes: she’s been more difficult. Not sure why. But I may have learned more this week than in the last year!

Brenda

So, here’s my progress. As happens, I lost the reflections in the eyes and recovered with a gel pen. I’ll be so glad when I figure out a better way to maintain highlights. Maybe Frisket is the answer in such a small space. I also think the right ear looks abnormally long, but it mostly matches the photo reference. I think it’s because she’s resting in a pillow.

I’m changing the light situation. I done like the shadow like it is in the reference. I have several other photos I’m looking at for ideas.

The background will also be a make over. Not sure what I’m going to do with it.

1 Like

Hi Brenda - I haven’t been on the forum for a few days - and wow. Look at what I missed. You are doing great with Rosie. I really love love love it when you post your progress photos. Thanks for sharing.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thank you, Terri! BTW I was on Facebook yesterday and saw the rose you posted. Amazing! You are so skilled with so many mediums, and I love your photography.

Brenda

Wow! This is going to be a wonderful portrait. You’ve obviously conquered the initial blank page fear. I can’t wait to see the final result. It will be gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your WIP.
Patricia.

Thanks Brenda. The reference photo for the rose I painted came from The Virtual Instructor. Matt used it to teach pastel drawing. I needed an oil painting of a flower for this summer’s county fair. With that being done I’m now doing a colored pencil flower. Specifically the peony from a Live Lesson. Today I finished the first 2 lessons. Eight more lessons to go.

Terri Robichon

AH!!! I just looked at the peony progress. So beautiful!

Brenda

1 Like

You might want to rethink your composition a bit. You are going to have an awful lot of undifferentiated blue pillow to do in colored pencil. It takes up a quarter of your composition.

1 Like

Just saw the done parts. Beautiful face and texture.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. I’m also using watercolors for larger washes. We’ll see how it turns out. As Matt says, it’s just paper and pigment. :grin:

I’ve become unhappy with my work on this. I’m going to lay it aside and bring it back out maybe in a week or two. Her head, face, and the pillow look good, but I’m not satisfied with the other areas. I’ve tried cropping it several ways, but that makes it even less appealing to me. Maybe I can look at it with fresh eyes later.

Brenda

Hi Brenda - Missed you at the Live Lesson last night.

Sometimes I just have to set things aside for a while also. As a matter of fact, I have an ink wash painting I’m doing of my husband that is half done that has been sitting on my easel for a year. I do plan to get back to it in July however, because I’d like to enter it at my county fair.

Terri Robichon

1 Like