Sketchbook sketches

I’ve been playing n my sketchbook today and yesterday. Pileated woopecker with Caran d’Ache Luminance pencils. And a very cold bluebird in watercolor pencils and ink. Just having fun.

5 Likes

Brenda,

Beautifully done. I am terrible working on sketchbook, I generally just pull out a piece of paper, of course the appropriate one for each media, usually.

Thanks for sharing!

Teri

1 Like

I’ve never worked in a sketchbook. These are great and I love the notes.
Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thank you, Teri! I used to keep a nature journal, so the sketchbook is very similar for me. Perhaps it will turn into a new nature journal, although, I’m actually working on dog eyes in it today! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Terri. I used to keep a nature journal which involved pretty detailed notes. I’m trying to keep these notes short and sweet. Today I’m working on dog eyes, and I’ll post something later here. I’m trying to decide on what medium to use. I started with colored pencils, and they just didn’t do what I was wanting. I’m trying watercolor pencils and pastels now.

1 Like

Wonderful job. Love it.

1 Like

Hi Brenda!
I like this. I always start with good intentions about using a sketchbook, and then I go straight to the artwork! Be then, I realized recently that doing thumbnails and sketches does allow for some planning before going to the final artwork.
Patricia

1 Like

Beautifull done :ok_hand:
its a great practise these quik sketces

1 Like

Thanks Patricia. This particular exercise also helped me choose the preferred medium. I’ll be doing more of this work in the future.

It certainly is good practice! This helped me in many ways!

Brenda

In order to work on watercolor paper for the eye on the right, I did these sketches and used double-sided tape to put them in my sketch book.

If you were looking Rosie in the face, this would be her right eye. The left sketch is with Carbothello pastel pencils, and the one on the right is watercolor pencils. The eye on the right is more the correct shape. Rosie is half chihuahua and half Shih Tzu. She has pretty buggy eyes. :grin: I think I’m going to try watercolor and watercolor pencils. Most interestingly, she is basically the same color as the orangutan from our live lesson!

Any comments or suggestions? You guys are awesome. :heart_eyes:

Brenda

1 Like

i aint that good yet with pastels, ht the watercolour eye looks already :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks, Barbara! I’m hoping to start on the actual drawing/painting today. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Brenda

1 Like

Love it! really like the bluebird with watercolor pencil… both are done nicely

1 Like

Thank you so much for your comments!

Brenda

Beautiful renders with the watercolor pencils! :star_struck:

1 Like

Not my sketchbook but definitely a sketch. I may do a more developed drawing of this bird at some point. Forest Kingfisher from my Australia trip in 2006 using Prismacolor premier colored pencils on Stonehenge white paper.

Hi Brenda - I admire how much practice time you put into your artwork. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Terri

1 Like

Thanks Terri! It felt really good to do something in another medium. I realized I’d been working in watercolor pencils for a couple of months. It was definitely time to play with something different. :grin:

Brenda

1 Like

Really nice sketch. I am intimidated by feathers and fur. But then, I haven’t really tried that many animal portraits!
Thanks for sharing.
Patricia.

1 Like