FINISHED AND FRAMED! - WIP -- "Sally" - first pet portrait commission - VERY nervous!

Below are my reference photos and sketch of Sally, my friend’s cat. My friend asked me to do a portrait of Sally. I’m questioning every decision I’m making at this point, including size, materials, paper, whether I can actually do it, etc.

I’m thinking I want to do the portrait with pan pastels and pastel pencils. My laid out picture plane is 8 x 10, pastelmat paper. I think I’m posting all this to garner any suggestions you guys might have and to have a place to post my in-progress images. Wish me luck, and please send along any advice you might have.

Brenda

1 Like

Hello Brenda,

I think you are off to a good start. I do not have much experience with pastels, especially pan pastels as I do not have one.

Does your friend want the whole cat or just a portrait? I do like the poise of the picture you sketched out better for the whole cat or even if she wanted just a portrait. The placement of the focal point looks like it is in one of the thirds and the tail brings some movement to the layout also.

Maybe it you did a small, thumbnail sketch fully rendered, 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 first to get a feel for it.

Don’t second guess yourself, if you have fun then it will show in the final piece of artwork.

I did one of a friends cat, but just the face, stagnant image, turned out okay I suppose, I’ll put it here and maybe it will encourage you to have more confidence. Looking forward to the step by step progress.

Teri

2 Likes

Thank you, Teri! I love the kitty you did! I think I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the colors that Sally has. My friend and I talked about the image, and decided a full-length, whole-body drawing would be nice. I think I’m going to proceed with it, and maybe come back with a second image of just a portrait of Sally’s face and upper body. She has such amazing eyes, but her paws are so cute, too! LOL! I’ve been playing with it. I think I’m leaning toward more pastel pencils than pan pastels or sticks. I might employ the sicks and pan pastels when I get to the body. However, at 8 x 10, the face is small enough that using anything larger than pencils would be really difficult.

I so appreciate your input, Teri! And thanks for sharing your drawing.

Brenda

so far, I think I’m happy with decisions so far. Nothing but Caran D’ache pastel pencils so far.

Brenda

1 Like

I sure used the word “far” a lot, huh? Hmmmmmm? LOL!

Brenda,

That is looking amazing! Love that used a grid. Are you using just the pencils to have more control? I can’t wait to see how it progresses!

Thanks, June! Yes, I was using the pencils for the face mainly. I got a bit farther along, and every started looking weird. It all went south from there! I lost my contour lines for the sides of the face, and I somehow kept messing up the details. I made the decision to scrap this effort and do it differently.

If I’m going to do the entire cat, I need to go larger. If I want to stay with 8 x 10, I need to go with just the head and upper body — a “portrait” in the true sense of the word. The eyes need to be the star of the show. :star_struck:

I also want to change to colored pencils. If I went for a larger size, I would probably stay with pastels. I’m going to regroup this evening and will post a new beginning for the project. I’ve already learned several things from this experience.

Brenda

Brenda,

I am looking forward to seeing your work in progress! I agree the standing/sitting up picture is best.

On the portrait I did I used soft pastels, and pastel pencils for the detailed hairs. I also used some of my polychrome pencils and they work wonderful together. They cut through the soft pastels but did not disrupt them. Another thought!

Teri

1 Like

Thanks, Teri. I appreciate your input so much! I’m ready to begin again. And I love the portrait you did. The whiskers are magnificent!

Brenda

OK! And I’m off! I have changed to a 10 x 14 format on Mi-Teintes pastel paper. I plan to use pan pastel, Nu-pastel, and pastel pencils. I’m finished for tonight. I just had to get the sketch on paper before I go to bed. Thank you all for your amazing support and wonderful input!

Brenda

1 Like

Wow! I’m impressEd! Thanks for sharing your process. That’s so helpful.

1 Like

Thanks Rhonda! I’m happy to share my processes. It helps me work out problems, and I’m delighted it may have been helpful for you!

I love doing grids and getting my paper ready. It’s such a relaxing process.

Brenda

1 Like

That is looking great

1 Like

Face progress. I’m heading out of town until probably Sunday. I’m hoping when I get back I can look with fresh eyes and continue. I’m fairly happy with it at this point.

I’ll miss you guys at live lesson and Gettin’ Sketchy tomorrow night!

Brenda

1 Like

Amazing Brenda! Your off to a great start! Never doubted you could do this commission.

Teri

1 Like

Looks so good so far!! Cant wait to see it!!!

1 Like

I had set Sally aside while working on Roscoe from the live lesson. I’m so very happy to return to her. I’ve started work on the upper body

That is looking fabulous! Can’t wait to see it all done

1 Like

Aw, thanks, June! I can’t wait to finish and frame her. :heart_eyes_cat:

Brenda

She’s almost finished!!! I need to touch up the background and add a few details maybe. And there might be some shading yet to do. I’m going to let her sit for a day or two.

1 Like