Pastel mountains

This was a challenging one! Not sure I want to tackle a reflection again anytime soon. Wanted to capture the beauty of a recent trip to the Canadian Rockies. Many issues and I decided to make myself stop because I was an obsessing and overworking it. Critiques welcome

6 Likes

Hello Junenez,
I can certainly see the beauty you were trying to capture. As an architect, I was always taught that when doing reflections in water, it was easier to imply reflection over slightly moving water, where a slight blur in the water would imply movement and mask some of the small imperfections that come when we try to create an identical mirror image. I added a few blurs in an editor with a small smudge tool and horizontal strokes so that you can see what I was referring too. Just a suggestion, but excellent work.

1 Like

Yes. Excellent suggestion but believe it or not this is a pure mirror reflection. Cause I did think about blurring it but what amazed me so much in Canada was the beautiful water and the mirror reflections. I did try and give the reflection more of a “glassy” look but it started to just look very messy! I definitely more than challenged myself

Junenez,
Mountains are a beautiful subject, especially with water in the landscape … your landscape is beautiful.
I agree with @lenetg137 about the reflection in the water. I do see the pulled down effect on the water where the trees and water meet. Just some pulled down blur along the trees-water edge would make it more like the reflection even if the rest is just about crystal clear.
I hope it helps…
Sonia :grin:

Thia is great. I love it.

Hello everyone,

Here is my interpretation of these same mountains. I used acrylic paints.

Teri

I guess I should attach the picture - lol!

Teri

1 Like

Beautiful! :star_struck: Amazing how you were able to mirror the scenery over into the crystal water! :ocean: :clap:

OHHHHH Teri - this is delightful. The blues and oranges are perfect.

Terri Robichon

Thank you, Terri.

I enjoy acrylics and find that I feel more at home with the. When I first 0got sick with Lyme I started with graphite, colored pencils, and acrylics.

Matt has helped me to expand my interest and skills!

Teri

1 Like

Thank you TheMustardSeedLife,

Reflections I find so difficult. Your encouragement is appreciated!

Teri

1 Like