Pastel Pencil Question

Hi There,
I currently work with Faber Pitt and CarbOthello pastel pencils on Pastelmat.
Just wanted to get everyones feelings pros and cons on Caran d’Ache pastel pencils. I love Fabers for the detail you can get with them and the Carbos are great but sometimes feel a bit “chalky” (sorry to use that word). So i was just wondering what your experiences may have been with “CD’s” i know they are pricey so any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you sooo very much. :blush:

1 Like

Queeny107,

I bought like three or four open stock, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I know many people really like them. I also prefer Faber Pitt Pastel Pencils as well as Carbothellos.
My biggest complaint was that they did not keep a point, they would break with any handheld sharpener, and I tried all the different ones I have.

For the price I decided to stay with Faber Pitt and Carbothelo’, but personally I prefer when I can get a sharper point for details. Maybe try one or two open stock before buying a whole set, just a thought.

Teri

1 Like

I love my Caran D’ache pastel pencils. They seem to be better able to show up in layers over other colors, especially when trying to add highlights that somehow got missed when I was trying to leave lighter colored paper to work as highlights. I work on pastel mat as well. I was using my CarbOthello and Caran D’ache pencils on the same piece, and preferred the CD by far. I used the CarbOthello because there was a color I didn’t have in my CD. Then I got out the Nu-Pastel sticks which worked great, too! So many choices! :slight_smile:
Brenda

1 Like

That’s a great idea, Teri!!

Brenda

Thank you so much for the info, i greatly appreciate it. What you brought up about the sharpening seemed to be the biggest drawback ive seen or heard. Do to the price i think open stock would be a perfect way to test drive CDs.
Again, TY for the help and info😊

Hi Brenda!! Thank you for the reply :blush: i have a few spots in my colors that i think some openstock CDs will fill in to give me a feel for them for sure. I mean who cant have more art supplies!! :joy:

1 Like