Pastel Practice

This little “jobby” is on Pastelmat (which i love) with PanPastels, Faber Castell, and CarbOthello pastel pencils. I also used gouache in the background…really happy with how this turned out. Comments and suggestions are all welcome :blush: thank you everyone.

7 Likes

Love the texture contrast with the Gouche background. Amazing detail with the fur and grass.

1 Like

Thank you so very much. I greatly appreciate it :blush:

Oh my goodness! I love this so much. That bunny is adorable, and his eye is exquisite! Thank you for sharing. I’ve never worked with gouache, but this application is so perfect for this subject, in my opinion.

Brenda

1 Like

Thanks Brenda!:blush: Ive just started using gouache and while its a bit different then transparent watercolor i just tell myself its just opaque watercolor so i dont over think it (because i will…lol) what i find the reason that i really enjoy using it is because you can really get saturation of color​:paintbrush:. Best wishes Alice

This is so BEAUTIFUL! (and cute!) Also love the use of “mixed media” (pastels and gouache) :smile: :clap: :rabbit:

1 Like

Thank you Sooooo very much! I greatly appreciate it :blush:

.inctedible. :flushed:…cant remember if i asked already or not but YOU DONT SELL THESE!!!

1 Like

Thank you so very much Araela for your kind words as always :hugs: ive only sold one thing in the past 10 years and thats only because a fella that works with my boyfriend asked me to do a moose for him a few months ago. To be honest ive never thought my art work was good enough to actually sell so ive never pursued it. Thats why i truly appreciated everyones comments and help here on VI its helped me soooo much. :heart:

Alice, do you have problems with your pastel pencils breaking off when you sharpen them? I have Caran D’Ache Luminance and Carbothello pencils. Certain colors of both tend to break the point off no matter what kind of sharpener I use. Any ideas or experience with this?

I simply love this image of yours. :slight_smile:

Brenda

1 Like

Hi Brenda, i do know that “CD’s” have a reputation for being hard to sharpen in a sharpener because of breaking. I use an zeacto or box cutter to sharpen mine. My Carbo ive found sharpen great in the Stabilo black hand held sharpener

Ive not found one color to be worse or more prone to breaking (yet) but i always worry too if they where dropped being shipped, loaded at the store and the such. Sorry i couldn’t be of more help . Best wishes :blush: Alice

Thanks for the info. I’ll switch to sharpening the CDs with a knife, and I will get a new sharpener. My white CD pencil is already really short. I’m considering just ordering a larger set of Carbothello.

Brenda

1 Like

Love this! I never thought that you could use gouache on pastelmat - wasn’t it kinda “rough”? The colors you used for the background compliment that beautiful bunny. Like that you didn’t fill the entire page with the background, gives great movement and a mysterious feeling.

1 Like

Brenda i really LOVE my Carbos too…great pencil for sure. :blush:

Hi June, the pastelmat works awesome with gouache. Didnt find it hard to work with at all, ive a harder time with cellulose paper by far with gouache.
I find the gouache will really “move” on the paper with more water. Plus being Pastelmat is so thick it really seems to take a far amount of water (not that ive soaked it) but the background i painted like i would on cotton paper :blush: