Portrait in Charcoal

I tackled a portrait in charcoal. I am going to put this out there. If it is recognizable, I consider it a successful. If not, will I would appreciate comments or suggestions. Portrait work is so tedious to try to get a decent resemblance.

Lenet

5 Likes

I think this great. Very well done.

1 Like

Thank you, @Denise .

Sorry Lenet I do not recognize your subject. I really enjoy drawing portraits in charcoal and like the challenge of getting the facial expressions just right. To me it looks like you rushed through the shading & around the straps of the dress or blouse. I do like the facial expression, looks like she is having a good time. Thank you for sharing.
Jim

1 Like

Hi Lenet - You did a great job on “Marilyn Monroe”. I did a drawing of her also a few years ago in March 2020 when I was first learning to use pastels (see attached). Yours does a much better job communicating her personality but I just used the reference provided by the instructor.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Thanks, Jim @1kidneyJD . It is supposed to be Marilyn Monroe. I actually did not finish the straps, as they are suppoosed to be covered in jewels.

My mentor/coach suggested a couple of tweaks to bring it closer to reference. Thanks for the comments.

Lenet

1 Like

It’s Marilyn! Right?

Brenda

1 Like

Thank you, Terri @robichon . There are so many references for Marilyn Monroe out there, and each one gives here a different unique look. It is so hard to do portraits and get a truly representative image. But not giving up on trying to get close.

Lenet

1 Like

Hello @Brenda. You are correct! At least it is supposed to be Marilyn.

Lenet

I knew that was Marilyn right away! You captured her spunky and fun spirit. Wonderful job.

1 Like

Thank you, @junenez . I’m sure more portraits are on there way.

Lenet

I showed this to my wife, she said Marilyn Monroe. I guess I should look at pictures of MM. Jim

1 Like

That’s OK, Jim @1kidneyJD . The reference was a bit of a challenge. Slight head tilt to the side and slightly back makes a difficult perspective.

Lenet

@lenetg137 I just tried my hand at a portrait for the first time in a hundred years in pencil and I’m having a hard time. Just keep plugging away!

2 Likes