Rooster in colored pencil

I really struggled with the back ground could use some pointers! I did the rooster first then background. Should I have done it the reverse?

3 Likes

I had the same thought after spending days and days on a picture of a little boy in pastel pencils. I drew him first and then added the background which for me ruined it. Another picture in the trashcan. Sometimes I think if the background is added after the drawing (especially as detailed as your rooster) you will have a ring around the subject. I think I will buy more ‘toned’ pastel paper and not really worry about the background. Just whatever the subject is sitting on. I don’t have a reason for it, but at least I have come across someone else who is experiencing the same issue. Your rooster is excellent.

Lenora

This is beautiful. I love it.

I’ve heard it said many times to develop the entire painting/drawing at the same time.
Hard for me to do though.

I love your cockrel, I am not sure where your light is coming from , possibly the back of the bird, I would darken the shaddow under his feet to ground him. I find back grounds hard too, especially if done after. I ve statrted using pastel as a background for coloured pencil, as you can move it around a bit and push the pigment towards the subject. I hope this helps as I am still learning too.

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it :grinning:

1 Like