Staedtler Mars lumigraph pencils

Hi - I see that Matt is using these specific pencils in his recent Getting Sketchy episodes.
I just watched one of the course videos on pencils to see if he discusses them - he does not.
Can someone explain why these are better than regular graphite pencils? He did mention that they are a combo of carbon and graphite, but what is the benefit? (I tried using my carbon pencils on the ear episode last night but it is too black).

Thanks

1 Like

They don’t leave as much of a “shine” like graphite tend to do. Faber Castell has some 14B-12B, 10B that are similar now.

1 Like

I got a set of 6 which go from HB to 8B and they are very nice with low shine and make a very black matte line instead of a shiny dark grey one as graphite does when trying to make a dark line. The Finished drawings look black and white - closer to charcoal instead of the grey and white of a typical graphite pencil drawing.

They are harder to erase, but if you have an electric eraser it will remove it quick and easy. Use a much lighter touch for a dark line compared to pressure with a standard graphite pencil.

The “Layout Pencil” from General’s is what I’ve seen Matt use a whole lot which is also a similar mix of carbon and graphite. The Blackwings “Matte” pencil is also similar for results.

Because of the erasing issues (not as bad as colored pencil but not as easy as HB graphite) I still sketch in pencil then use the Lumograph Black pencils to actually draw the finished picture.

1 Like

Blackwing’s Matte is my favorite, I would have to say. I like to use the white rectangle erasers (mono, I think) and the mono super thin erasers in the silver holder. A putty eraser kneaded and formed to a sharp edge can by useful, too. Sometimes, a brand new pink pearl is the best, though. I just keep a host of erasers around!

1 Like