Father and Baby Hands

Here is a 5×7 graphite drawing on Stonhenge paper of Father’s hand and Baby’s hand doing their first “Fist Bumb”.

Comments welcome!

Lenet

5 Likes

Great job. It is adorable.

1 Like

That is so sweet! Is it your hand? nice shading

1 Like

Hello @junenez , no not my hand, but rather a generic.

I wanted to work on some graphite drawing to try to develop a soft image while increasing some values. I did not use any blending stump, (but did use a soft paint brush). Values ranged from 5H - 4B. Was mainly working on developing value from lightest to dark. I know I could have went darker, but stopped at 4B when I started to notice a little bit of graphite shine in some of the creases. Then I cleaned up and called it done.

Lenet.

So cute! The shading/values are nice, and the hands look great! :fist_right: :fist_left: :clap:

Thank you @TheMustardSeedLife

1 Like

Hi Lenet - I love the subject matter. Very touching (no pun intended). I agree that the graphite shine can drive you crazy. You should give the Staedtler - Mars lumograph black pencils a try. There is still some shine, but not nearly as bad as a typical graphite pencil. The softer the lead with these, the less shine. So, the 6B and 8B are both nice and dark with minimal shine. One other pencil that I have that is even darker with even less shine can be found at Blick. It is General’s Kimberly Graphite Pencil - 9XXB (use that exact description). It is $2.23 per pencil. Now, just one suggestion regarding the actual drawing. The thumb fingernail of the dad is missing the “lunule” (google parts of a fingernail) and it looks kinda flat. I think more shading at the sides of this thumbnail will give it a more realistic form.

Terri Robichon

Hello Terri @robichon thank you for your comments. I looked the “lunula” and see what you mean. However, reference photo was pretty flat as well. I will definitely look at this in the future.

I do have the General’s 9xxB but not the Marrs. I felt like that would be a little too dark for what I was trying to accomplish. I do think I may go back and add some value though.

I was also trying a different layering technique (taught by someone other than Matt & Ashley) by starting really light and slowly building up values. Photo is a bit lighter than drawing itself, but after doing the Falcon with the Blackwing pencils, I may go back in with them. Part of the challenge was to try to see if I could get a soft look without using blending stumps. The light brushing helped, but kept weakening the values.

Great learning experience though.

Lenet.

1 Like

Love it!!! I have a similar one I did for a themed gallery opening called Blessing. I will post in a few

1 Like

Hi Lenet. One of the big lessons I have learned from Matt here at TVI is that the reference is a guide. Sometimes you need to adjust your drawing to exaggerate what you see in the reference, or to better represent where the different values should be located based on the light source.

I just got my Blackwing pencils so I’m looking forward to giving the Falcon a try myself.

Happy drawing my friend,
Terri Robichon

Experience is the best teacher which makes your drawing experiment a success.

@jmld616 that is a really nice drawing with a unique perspective.

Lenet

1 Like

Hello Terri @robichon , I worked the drawing a little more and think it made a difference with a little work in the value and detail, especially the thumb nail.

Lenet

1 Like

This is really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Yes, isn’t amazing how big of a difference little adjustments can make. You should be proud of this drawing.

Terri Robichon

Thank you Terri @robichon i am much more pleased with the final outcome. As a matter of fact, i went help my daughter get set up in a new place yesterday, as she is going through a divorce. So she has my 1 year old grandson with her. I gave the picture to her framed. Told her to think of me and her son when she looks at it. She really loved it and immensely put it up in her new place even though nothing else was even unpacked or set up. So regardless of how good it was or how much it could still be improved, it will always have a special meaning for me just because of how her face lit up after receiving it during this rough time for her.

Lenet

2 Likes

Hi Lenet -

I have been trying to do more artwork that has a personal connection too. So glad your drawing is in a place of honor, and that you shared your story with your friends on the forum.

Terri Robichon