Graphite drawing

I am new to this forum. Not sure if I am uploading this correctly. Please let me know if you can view it. I only see a link.

20 Likes

This is very well done. Love it.

Beautiful bird. I love what you did with this. (Welcome aboard)

Patricia.

Thank you for your kind words. It is so helpful to belong to a positive and encouraging community of artists.

Very nicely done and yes, I can see the picture. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing more of your artwork.

Teri

Hello @mjomaynard ! What a cool rooster! If you don’t mind me asking, what medium did you use? Welcome aboard! Jesus loves you!!!

Thank you. It is a graphite sketch.

1 Like

This is really nice. I especially like the texture of the comb. The eye is perfect too. Thanks for sharing!

Hello, after watching Getting Sketchy, where Matt drew an eye and watching another YouTube site on drawing a realistic eye, I thought it about time I gave it a go. So here’s my attempt - graphite and white charcoal on strathmore tones gray paper.

7 Likes

Very nice! You captured the wetness of the eye so well!

1 Like

@MeBJ , beautiful! The white charcoal really does the trick! Great job layering the mediums!

1 Like

I love graphite and white charcoal. You did an amazing job on this eye.
Patricia.

1 Like

I have finally started to get a bit of confidence in my drawing. I started trying to do a graphite portrait of my late dad nearly 10 years ago. I got stuck then as I wasn’t sure how to finish the clothing, or ensure that I had captured his innate kindness. So I started again, on grey-toned paper this time, with graphite and white charcoal. I think I still need to work on getting his hair done a bit better, but, overall, I’m really happy I’ve done this drawing and I feel happy enough that I can hang this in my lounge room.

Any feedback on the drawing would still be very much appreciated. It can still be improved :smiley:

4 Likes

I love this portrait. When it comes to hair, I am not in a position to offer advice. The only thing I would say is that the right side of the portrait (left side of you dad) needs to see the shadows pushed a little more since I believe the light source hits the right side of his head. Specifically, I think you might need to push the shadows on the hair and the left side of the forehead. I find you did wonders with the whole portrait. I believe that the bottom of the left ear lobe needs a little bit of shadow as well - there seems to be too strong a contour line at the bottom of it compared to the wonderful softness on his right ear. I love what you did with the neck. It is so natural! and the clothing is just perfect as far as I am concerned.
Great job. Your dad looks like a gentle soul.
Patricia.

1 Like

Thank you @sterlingsiam, I realised after I had posted this that I had not added enough shadows to the left of my dad’s nose. The light source is fairly straight on. I can see what you mean by the right ear lobe. I need to soften that, and I will look at the hair over all. I need to try to make it less messy and look more like it’s been combed in place with highlights :wink:

I think you caught the kindness in his expression. It takes a lot of courage to draw a loved one simply because you want the drawing to capture the wonderful qualities that makes that person so special. I think you did a great job!

1 Like

Nevertheless, it is a lovely portrait. I feel that it is always more difficult to do a portrait of someone we know because we want to showcase who the person was more than just what the person looked like. It is challenging.
Please repost once you have done your desired adjustments.
Thank you for sharing.
Patricia.

1 Like

Thank you @sterlingsiam and @mjomaynard for you feedback. My dad was a kind and gentle soul. I’m so glad that this has come through in the drawing. I have done some tweaks and here is the updated drawing. I’m so happy with it now, that I’ll be taking it to the framers so I can have it properly framed. :blush:

3 Likes

Great job on the adjustments. The hair is great! The shadows give dimension to the face. Well done. Definitely worth framing. :wink: :smiley: :+1:
Patricia.

2 Likes

I’m a super beginner to drawing , only been doodling really for a year or so, But I feel I should share a doodle :slight_smile:

4 Likes