Tips to draw this feather in pencil?

HI,

It is called an Aftershaft, Filoplume, or Philoplume and it is used by trout fly tyers like myself. It is located underneath the main outside feathers of some birds like a pheasant.

I am going to watch the How to Draw a Feather tutorial and see if it would help me draw this feather in graphite pencil.

5 Likes

Hello @paulw remember that the secret lies in getting values correct. Good luck.

Lenet

@paulw

There is a lesson on the VI on how to draw a feather with pencils. Here is the link:

How to Draw a Feather (thevirtualinstructor.com)

Hope that this helps

Teri

I have been meaning to start that one for months and now I will. Different feather but I know I will learn lots that I can apply because VI is amazing!

Thanks Teri!!!

-paul

Hi Tanya! I have not taken the time yet. I want to watch the feather video and draw that or part of it first!

Thanks very much for checking in!

Oh!!! For sure!!!

Sorry, I just noticed your post. Please do!

-paul

1 Like

Do you need one of them laid out in a particular way Tanya? By itself maybe?

I am a fly tyer and have many different types of feathers (all legal - I am not a salmon fly tyer hehe) I can take pictures of different kinds of feathers and post them.

-paul

I am so excited Tanya! I will get started on the VA feather lesson and try my attempt at the aftershaft/filoplume feather in a few days.

-paul

Wonderful Tanya!

I really need to get off my you know what very soon and get going. You have made me want to do so! I think I can do this.

Thank you so much!

-paul

1 Like

Thanks Tanya.

I just tied this fly using the feather at the front near the eye in case you are interested is something that uses the actual feather.

Not this fly. It is a generic, buggy, “fishy” looking pattern (the original Gold-Ribbed Hare’s Ear nymph is a little different. Yes, hair from an actual rabbit skin is used or a blend in a bag). The filoplume feathers move a little in the water. It catches fish!

I have probably tied tens of thousands of trout flies (and some saltwater patterns) over the years. At least/ Even tied most of the flies for a fishing lodge that I guided for, for three years or so.

Funny you asked if I want to learn to draw my flies or others. Yes! For stationary, logos, letterhead for myself and maybe friends. I have been messing around with fine point colored markers (3-5mm max) but would also like to use graphite and colored pencils. There is a local artist that does paintings (I think) of some that I don’t know how he does them. He doesn’t have a studio in town (dashconfab dot com). They are so detailed, probably more so than I want to learn to do. I just want to stick to drawing and sketching at my age. Not oils, acrylics, pastels,…

-paul

Okay - I shouldn’t post this here in this thread but start a new one when I am ready. But I just tied this fly pin for my sister (doesn’t know it yet, blue and yellow together are her favorite colors). Maybe do this in colored pencils?! The feathers are dyed turkey marabou and natural mallard flank.

1 Like

Thank you Tanya! You know what’s great? Catching a fish on a fly I tied. You know what is MUCH greater and rewarding (I used to be a professional fly fishing guide here in Montana and Yellowstone National Park for twenty years or so)?

Watching someone else catch a fish with something I tied. Especially kids and vets, people with challenges, etc…!!

Hi Paul. It’s perfect to keep posting here. After all, you’re talking about what you’re working on and what you plan to do. It’s interesting and we’re getting to know you.

Terri Robichon

All right! I just didn’t want to deviate from the topic too much.

Thanks!

1 Like