White colored pencil

Is the white colored pencil the same as the white charcoal pencil? The same material? I guess my real question is can white charcoal be used as a substitute for the white colored pencil when using colored pencils?
Thank you,
Jim

Hi Jim -
I believe the answer to your question is no, but you could always grab some scrap paper and try to see what happens. Colored pencils could be waxed based or oil based (I think this is accurate), but the surface is pretty smooth. I don’t think the more chalky white charcoal pencil (which is not really charcoal) will stick to the colored pencil.

My question for you is . . . since pretty much all colored pencil sets include a white pencil, why would you not just use that? As a matter of fact, for the wax based pencils, the white and cream colors can be used for blending if you don’t have a colorless blender. A white charcoal pencil could never do that.

Terri Robichon

Hi Terri, thank you for the answer. The reason for my inquire is that I have been using the white colored pencil as a blender, no cream color or colorless yet, so the white colored pencil is about down to a stub & I have 5 white charcoal. Just curious if I could use the charcoal as blender. Again, Thank you,
Jim

1 Like

I buy extra “back-up” white pencils for every media I have because they always go fast. You can usually get them individually at Blick.

Terri Robichon

Thanks Terri, I will be heading to the local Hobby Lobby.

1 Like