You Dirty Rat! (Charcoal Drawing)

Hi Everyone :slight_smile:
I’m a big old movie fan, I decided to try James Cagney in charcoal. I really like how this turned out, though I am thinking that his face is too white, what do you think?

(For those who don’t know, his famous line is “Your dirty yellow-bellied rat!!”)

1 Like

I like this. I find that you captured his face very well (eyes, wrinkles, mouth and hair). I think that you are right. I believe that the light is coming from the right side of the image (left side of the face). If so, you could have pushed the values on the right side of the face a little more to show where the light is coming from. If you do that, you may have to push the values darker on the clothing as well. But, that may not be what you wanted to do. All in all, I think it is a great drawing.

1 Like

Thanks so much Patricia!! I loved your comment so much. Yes, the light is coming from his left side. I see what you mean about the jacket, it should probably be a little darker. I need to have more confidence, I thought about pushing the lighter values on the right side of his face, but I was afraid I’d ruin it! Thanks again! :slight_smile: