2 days working on waterfall and columnar joints

This is something I worked on to add some dark-toned works to my portfolio.
The reference photo can be checked here.
It was fun to draw something naturally stylized like these rocks :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That is truly beautiful, Maki. Everything in that picture is complicated and you did very well.

2 Likes

I do like the dark tones in this picture. Awesome!

2 Likes

The rocks are very expressive, and I also love how you did the foam and spray of the water. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wonderful. Very nicely done

By the way I saw the Members minute and Matt Critiqued one of your works. Loved it.

2 Likes

Love it! Very impressed with the rocks and the water.

1 Like

I really like the warm tones in the Collumnar rock formations and the “sheeting” effect in the waterfall. Lovely!

1 Like

Thank you, Ginny! :blush:

Thank you, Lori! :+1:

Thank you for your kind comment, Mikka! :+1:

Thank you for your lovely comment, Denise. Thank you for watching the critique, too ! :smile:

Thank you, Anna Maria, This work took me many, many hours to complete ! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your lovely comment, Suzy. I do like the parts you mention too ! Welcome to the forum, hope that I will see your works in the near future :wink:

I can tell! You have included many nice details and nuances. Just a question: did you have any difficulties adding the white upon the darker tones? If so, how did you solve it?

Best regards,
Anna Maria

2 Likes

Hi AnnaMaria, thank you for your comment and question.
I did not have any trouble dealing with white on dark areas, which is usually the case as long as I use Schimincke soft pastels. Schmincke soft pastels use extremely fine pigments so it is very easy to add white on any darker colours. I recommend that you ask the same question at the Member’ Forum and maybe ask Matt to demonstrate how white behaves differently on dark-toned areas depending on the brand, paper types, how you develop the layers etc. Hope this helps. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Maki. I think I’ve understood the message from you and others on how to get good results and avoid problems: use quality material - both paper and colours. I have also learned this the hard way.

1 Like

Very nice Maki. Love the see-thru effect - realistic looking!

1 Like

I’m glad I saw this one Maki! The mist is lovely and the way you have the water at the bottom hitting the rocks is fab. Beautiful rock wall too!!

1 Like

Thank you, Rain. I’m glad you like this work ! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Judy. I’m glad you like this work ! :slight_smile: