Business Man with glasses

This is a picture I used soft and hard pastels. I see so many mistakes but would appreciate any comments on what you see that I could correct.

Lenora

6 Likes

Hi Lenora. I think you did a fantastic job on the face. I would tone down the shadow immediately under the bottom lip and in the dimple on the left side of the face just a little. Outside of that, there isn’t that much that jumps at me except maybe that the top of the head seems to be right at the edge of the picture plane. I love what you did with the glasses. Very often people want to remove the reflection in them, but for me it works really well.
:+1:
Patricia.

I feel it is well done. Great job.

Thanks Patricia. I might see if I can make these correction but I think I have already sprayed it with permanent fixative. I agree that the top of the head was too close to the top of the paper. I think cut it down to fit into my portfolio.

Lenora

Thank you, Denise - you always have good remarks for us to know when we might be heading in the wrong direction/

Lenora

I tried to correct the shadows, not much luck. It had already been sprayed with fixative, but I agree with what you said and I will try to stop my drawing all the way to the top. I am not a good judge of distance in that regard. I have started painting on large museum-quality canvases, and it is easier to achieve the issue of started too high on the canvas. I have a drawing on a canvas to finish a flying peacock. Hopefully, it will turn out well. I am having an issue trying to decide what (color) I need to paint the background. White or something else. I already know I need to decide what to do with it.

Thanks again for your help.

Lenora

1 Like

I was looking at peacocks on Pixabay and I saw a few of them on a warm grey background (not too dark) and it looked really nice. Good luck with your piece. Thanks for sharing.

Patricia.

Thank you, I’ll try that. Sounds like a good choice. I hope to start painting soon.

Lenora