Charcoal sketch of my Dad in his Workshop

After completing the live lesson of the charcoal tool man, I came across a photo of my dad in his workshop. He passed 14 years ago. I was thinking of giving this to my mom for her 99th birthday. I find it very stressful to gift art and would appreciate any comments!

6 Likes

Looks very nice, and I’m sure your mom would appreciate it!

June,

You did a wonderful job! You even did well with the foreshortening, something I really struggle with. You also did a great job with the shirt, the creases, and the pattern in it.

You may want to darken the corners of the background to bring more attention to your father working. I think you did a great job with the details of the tools, your fathers’ hands, etc.

I imagine your mother would be touched with such a warm, thoughtful drawing and memory of your father.

thanks for sharing,

Teri

Junenez,

That is awsome. As hard as it may be to gift your art, I would imagine that your mother would really treasure the gifted piece. Should get a good print made and keep for yourself. Takes a lot of courage to do a piece like this. I have a couple of pictures of my deceased parents that I would love to turn into art someday but still can’t bring myself to take on that challenge yet.

1 Like

I can understand the stress. I have it myself. But, it is a great joy and lifts your own spirits to witness the joy and happiness of the receiver. Do it. You won’t regret it, I’m sure.

2 Likes

lenetg137,

thank you. I actually really enjoyed the process and remembering my dad in his workshop. I was so anxious to present to my mom! One of sisters has already requested that they would like it eventually. Mom is almost 100!!!

1 Like

That is such a sweet drawing. I’m sure it would be very appreciated by your mom to get your drawing as a gift. Especially coming from her own child!
She probably remembers him wearing the exact shirt and apron.
You did great… loooove it

Your mother will see the love in your art, and recall the love for your dad. I can’t think of a more perfect gift!

Meme5 - thank you very much

Thank You very much. My mother loves it

1 Like

June, I love this so much! It’s beautifully and lovingly done. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Brenda

Brenda, thanks! I did this back in January for my Mom’s 99th bday in February.

1 Like

Did you mom love it? That’s a silly question. You’re an amazing daughter, friend and artist. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: