Cost cutting so you are not a starving artist

I am going to share some penny pinching ideas but I also keep in mind the saying " penny wise and pound foolish". I look forward to hearing from others on this forum on cost saving steps.
#1. KindaGood KindaBad. Love making large canvas paintings but cost of canvas is high?
I recently bought a 36x36in gallery wrapped canvas painting at Salvation Army for $15. Ugly painting but canvas in good shape. I sanded surface with fine grit and then two layers of gesso before painting the image I wanted. Time will tell if it holds the paint I’ve applied. I have heard that a poor quality surface will cause paint to crack, or peel. We’ll see. Anybody ever try this? How’d it work out?
#2 You probably all ready know this but for large brush work you can use brushes from hardware store. and for dry brush soft blending small areas you can use face powder makeup brush.
#3 I use acrylics and I love the stay-wet system with their paper and large Tupperware type pallet that seals out air and keeps paint wet. I have also learned the stay-wet paper can be used on both sides and I sometimes cut paper to smaller shape to fit in smaller actual Tupperware container.

1 Like

Hello Kwwtexas!
Great suggestion for repurposing a canvas!
I have made my own watercolour canvas with a dense cotton fabric, wrapped and stretched around a pine frame, then treated it with Windsor & Newton Watercolour ground. It works beautifully, and there’s no change to the integrity of the canvas or painting after two years. So far, so good!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback :+1: