Hi , can someone suggest how to protect pastel drawings withkot smudging.
When I’ve finished a pastel drawing, I put a single or double mat on top of it and put it in a frame. Otherwise, I put a piece of (parchment) paper on the top so you can stack it with other finished artwork in a drawer.
Terri Robichon
Another method is to use art fixative or hairspray…sprayed over the whole drawing it minimises smudging. ![]()
One thing to keep in mind is that most of the time a fixative with change / darken the colors of the original artwork. That’s the reason Matt here at the Virtual Instructor has stated that he does not use fixative. I have used it myself in the past and have wished I hadn’t used it for that reason. If you do use the fixative you might want to try it on a separate paper to see if it is acceptable to you.
Terri Robichon
