Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello Everyone
I just finished 25 days to drawing. Really enjoyed it. I like the way Matt presented the material. Pen and ink ,oil, graphite, and watercolor are some of the mediums I enjoy. Betty Mounce

Hi! I don’t know if this will help you…
From the Introduce yourself here! you should be able to scroll down to see previous posts… if not, try following the instructions below.

• From the Forum page, click on Share your art
  • Click on New Topic (on the right side of the page)
  • Add a subject or title to your message.
  • Add you text describing your artwork, if desired.
  • Click on the upload icon !
  • That will open a dialogue box Add an image
  • You click on From my device, then on Choose files
  • It will open your File navigator
  • Go to the folder where you keep your photos and click on the file you want to upload
  • Click Open
  • The name of your file will then be uploaded in the Dialogue box
  • Click on Upload
  • Depending on the weight (size) of your image, it might take a few seconds
  • When it is ready, it will allow you to Create topic (where you would enter what you want to say about your artwork).

Regards,
Patricia.

Maybe I won’t repeat myself all over this site. Still learning how to ‘navigate’ around it. Your instructions will help me a whole lot.

I am retired (because of a disability) from a Federal government job which I absolutely loved [secretary to a judge who I had worked for when he was an attorney] for over 20 years.

A wife of 48 years to the sweetest man I know. Mother of 2 grown sons, “Nana” to 4 granddaughters. And ‘Human’ Mama to a ‘mixed’ JRT/Rat Terrier (Cracker). She just did not ‘look’ like a “Molly” who we adopted and she is spoiled rotten by both me and my husband. He did not really want an inside dog; but, she stole his heart. We also have one outside “Tuxedo Cat” with the name of “Tux” - not very imaginative; but it was his name before we adopted him. The greatest pets are the ones you rescue.

One son and wife and daughter live out in Louisiana so we do not get to see them too much, I am not going to go a year-and-a-half without seeing them. Our oldest son and his family live next door so we get to see them almost daily. Two of my granddaughters are off at college. I look at them and cannot believe how they have grown into adulthood.

I started drawing when I was only 4-years-old and by the time I was seven I started taking private lessons (again). I learned first how to paint gouache; then when taking art during my years of HS, started taking from a man who specialized in portraits. One of my favorite subjects. I have dabbled in every medium and even Acrylics when they were almost impossible to mix the color). I am sure that Pablo Picasso would have loved them.

I came across TheVirtualInstructor through an email that came to me somehow. I will never regret opening up the email because it piqued my interest. I know I will learn a whole lot from him and some of you as well.

I guess that is about all I can think of, so let me hear from you with a introduction.

Lenora (“lilnora”)

Hello Lenora.

I am a retired Executive assistant. Our household consists of my husband of 37 years, my mother-in-law (99 years young) and two wonderful cats Diesel (8) and Shadow a.k.a. Pooh Kat (6). Like you, I believe that rescued animals are the best. I am also lucky enough to have a variety of birds visiting my feeders - one of which is a very bold Blue Jay who now grabs peanuts out of my hand. We do have a large scurry of squirrels everyday - they are so much fun to watch that we do feed them too (many of them will also take peanuts from our hand).

I am relatively new to art, having started with Virtual instructor when I retired 3 years ago. A variety of problems in the family (health and otherwise) have kept me sidelined a bit, so I don’t practice as much as I should, but I enjoy being a member of VI and I try to get some drawing/painting in whenever I can.

Matt is a wonderful teacher, fun and always ready to try something new. I feel that one of his best qualities is that he is not an art snob like so many teachers (and artists) out there. He is always respectful and encouraging to all his students.

Every week, I look forward to the live lessons. I don’t always work alongside but I learn something new every time. Have you joined one of the live lessons yet? If not, you should. There is chat box where we can chat and ask questions. Over the past several weeks, Matt’s friend and artist Ashley Hurst has joined in the fun. You may also want to catch the Gettin’ Sketchy on YouTube at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday - I think this week’s might be the last one for a while but you can catch the previous episode online.

That’s about it for me. I am looking forward to seeing your art in the forum.

Patricia.

We live out in the country so we see a lot of deer. Husband almost hit one the other day with the the car. We once had one run into the side of the care. Both times it scared me almost to death. Fox squirrels that are a lot bigger than “city” squirrels and different colors as well. Rattlesnakes and owls, different birds and hummingbirds when the weather is right (mid-May). I put out feeders about the same time they will be coming back from South America. Last year we had a really small one that could chase off the larger ones. It had a broken beak, probably from fighting with the others. We did not see it this year. A lot of trees, pines and hardwoods for the birds. I’ve have a red cardinal who flies into the glassed-in porch. I guess he is trying to fight with himself. Weather down here is good here except a few days during winter.
A couple of years ago (on Christmas Day) it was forecasted for snow. It was sunny and very warm with no snow and we thought with no possibility. When we got to Valdosta to get on I-75 there was snow on the ground and very cold. It ended up taking 12 hour. to get to Jacksonville, FL, which normally would only take 4 hours. Our boys were probably about 7-8 and 9-10. It was very interesting and they wanted us to pull over and stop. We would have never been able to get back on the road. We rarely get snow so the girls enjoyed the 3" of snow we got 2 years ago.

I’ve only gotten to watch one of the live shows. I hope to be able to watch more. When they were painting a sunrise it helped me paint a picture with one. Looked at one where the subject came up on the Sketch class and that will also help me when I paint a seascape for the other one at college. I painted some sunflowers for the one who lives out in Louisiana, so I need to ask the 4th granddaughter what she wants me to do for her. Maybe I will decide to do a colored pencils for her.

My son and husband have decided when we will be out there. A lot will depend on how his painting job he is doing. I am almost hoping that it will be after Election Day so we might be able to stay longer. It’s been 1 1/2 years since we’ve seen them. DDnL has to work on this Saturday and she does not want to miss out visiting with us.

Are we on the wrong section of this site? Somewhere I read that one isn’t the same as our membership place. I don’t know since this is all new to me.

Well, guess I need to get off. Thanks for helping me start not to be so scared of chatting with you and hopefully others.

Lenora (“lilnora”)

1 Like

Hi, Jodygoldman - I’m married to a 'true southern gentleman who has encouraged my art as well, isn’t that nice to have? I mostly do oils and pastels and mixed medium. I am hoping I will learn how to post a drawing or painting and not be afraid to get a brutal critique for Matt and others so I can improve on something that I, too had gotten away from. I am enjoying painting and drawing again. Right now working to finish a picture so it will dry enough to take to family in Louisiana. Other than that I will tell them it is their Christmas gift when we go out there to hunt, in mid-January.

I think Matt and Ashley are great teachers. They teach so much like the way I was taught back during the time I took private lessons sessions. The sunrise has helped me with my current piece of art.

Lenora (“lilnora”)

Thank you for such a nice note. I will be looking forward to seeing your work, and keep in mind . . . any critiques on this site are always done in the most helpful way. No harsh words or embarrassment. It always helps to view your work through the skilled eyes of others and make use of the help that would be the most useful to you. Hope to see your paintings soon. Jody

Matt (and Ashley), both of you are ‘fabulous’ instructors. I recently got back into drawing and painting (thanks to my dear husband of 48 years). It brings me so much joy and things are beginning to stick in my brain. I’m looking forward to submitting some of my artwork for critiques from you and others on this site. When you do a critique of someone’s work how will they know when you are going to do so, so they will actually be able to see it and hear comments?

Matt, if we respond to someone do we do it here? If so, guess I need to stop being so verbose. I do like to talk and maybe that is why I get so messy when I paint. Family members tell me that I get more paint on my clothes than I have on a canvas.

I’ve learned a lot here and from y’all and other artists. Like, Old Masters Brush Cleaner & Preservative is great stuff. I just order the bars of soap made by them. It cleaned a lot of my brushes, some over 50 years old and the paint was dry in some of them. Cooking oil works when cleaning brushes and getting paint off when I paint, and I wear vinyl gloves when working with oils and pastels because it isn’t good to have either mediums get into your body and bloodstream. I cannot use latex gloves because I am allergic; but vinyl gloves are an easier fit and also a good way to blend colors without getting oil from your body on the paper.

Someone asked you about making the color of olive green. While painting a portrait of a former HS friend, I found that I just had to break down and buy some different ranges of that color. I also added white or black to some of them to get other shades of olive green. I am sure you know what combinations of colors make olive. “Sap green” is a nice olive green,(medium range) ‘Olive drab,’. ‘Prussian Green’, ‘Green Earth Hue’, and Chromium Oxide Green are a range from light to dark. I used this to paint him in his Army Dress uniform. He wanted it to be what he called ‘spot on’, so he had to send me his bars. I never knew that each bar was made up with 64 strings in each bar. I pulled out all but 3 bristles out of a sable brush.

Because of ‘essential tremors’ (which I don’t know why ‘they’ call them that?) I have found it almost impossible to sign my work. I am going to type out my name in a close font and take it to the local art store to see if they can make a stamp for it.

I am so happy that I saw this site when someone sent me the link in an email. I am glad that I opened up. I’m looking forward to be reintroduced to various mediums.

Lenora (“lilnora”)

I uploaded a picture for Matt for a critique, but I really also wanted to post it here (?) so others can see what I did. It was a picture of youngest son and his wife 'Kissing in the Catahoula Sunrise" but I did not seem to be able to do it. Please, any suggestions? I am so laptop computer-challenged it is rather funny. I have to laugh so I won’t cry out of frustration.

My name is Annette and I’m new to the blog and honestly am not sure I’m doing this correctly.
I’ve been trying for about 20 minutes to “introduce myself”.
I’m new to painting (dabbling in watercolor and acrylic). I’m interested in knowing if I should get an easel. It seems like many painters use them but I’m not sure why. Any input would be appreciated include brands and sizes.
Thank you in advance!
Annette

Annette,

If I were in your shoes, and had never used an easel, my suggestion would be to buy small (table easel)and work your way up (floor easel). I have several table easels and floor easels. I think a lot will depend on what medium you are using. In a small space a table easel will do the job. I think a big heavy easel would be for a permanent studio and maybe for a professional artist.

I use 2 different drawing boards, and I like them about the same. Just depends on what I am doing, charcoal or pastels. Put a rag or wear an apron between the board and your lap so you don’t have dust all over everywhere around you chair. I also use a brush every few minute to get rid of most of the dust. Seems like if you brush it off while you go, there isn’t nearly the mess. Same amount of dust, just spread out so it isn’t noticeable. LOL!

One of my drawing boards is made of masonite and has a clip to hold my drawing. The only downside is, it makes an imprint of the clip on your paper but you can get around this by putting a small scrap of soft material under the clip the paper I usually use a scrap of T-shirt material. I also have a thick wooden one and the only downside is that it is heavy. You will need to tape the paper on it . I suggest using Blue Painter’s Tape because it will not stick to your work or tear your paper. Just do not use an ‘Exacto’ knife on either. It will ruin anything else you do, get a smooth cutting board for this,. On a wooden drawing board you can put 'Spackling" paste on it, let it dry, and then sand it and it will be like new.

I have one ‘rickety’ floor easel Don’t waste your money on one of these. Too unstable. This kind is usually use in elementary school because they fold flat and take up less space. I have a pretty good-sized floor easel and I did not spend too much money on it, considering it is on the low-end price. Easels generally range from $30 - $500 a piece starting with table easels through professional ones. I don’t remember their names or exact sizes but, again, I would go look at them in a store or find one at DickBlick.com or Jerryartarama.com - you will see what I mean about staying off the internet.

When you get on up in the floor models you will see that some are an “I” shape and others are “H” ones. Tripod folding “A” shaped generally is the least favorite because they are not very stable. I would love to have the more stable “H” easel. They have all kinds of easels out there and range on up from about $20 - up to ‘out of sight’ - very expensive - $500+. Just go to an art supply house (Michaels or Hobby Lobby - around here) and look at all the possibilities. I want to buy a better one and I might ask “Santa” to bring one to me for Christmas. I just hope I don’t find any switches and coal under the tree. It’s been a long time since I have painted with watercolors and if I remember that long back, I think I laid my work on a flat surface like a table. For me, it was just because I did not want it to run. I think that is just a personal preference

My family tries to keep me out of the stores and off the Internet. I think I would spend every nickel (that is burning a hole in my pocket) on art supplies. Even if I don’t use some of them immediately. Only because my studio is a place where other family member store their ‘stuff’.

I hope you enjoy this site as much as the rest of others. Matt and Ashley are fabulous instructors.

Lenora (“lilnora”)

Lenora,

I cannot express my appreciation over the generosity of time and specifics and humor you have provided. It was so informative and your comments reinforce everything Matt wrote in his post about easels (silly me… after I posted my question I did a search on the site and found a detailed description of why artists use easels - very informative - to lessen the odds of distortion -, just like your input). I’m so grateful for your input and I thank you very much. I found an “H” shaped desktop easel on craigslist for $30 that I am going to buy today. It doesn’t have a solid back for when I paint smaller pieces, which I often do, but I will find something to put in the back where the gaps are.
Again, thank you, thank you, thank you,
Annette

Hi, Lenora here. HAHAHAHA, never know where I’ll show up or if I am already posted an introduction; but, I am a retired secretary and getting back to my art after several bumps in the road. I think the last thing I drew was some turkeys for our son in pencil and colored pencil. I have several things that I did a long while ago, but, I am not that good after the breaks I have taken. I will try things as if I am new at it. I’m a little gun shy at this point in time.

Matt,
Thank you for all that you do for people! This site is wonderful and it makes a great opportunity for people to express themselves and their artwork which would otherwise be stacked away someplace. It also is a great place to learn. Your videos and and tutorials are absolutely priceless! Learning from you has been so wonderful and enjoyable. So, thank you, thank you, thank you. Love all that you do and have taught me!
Jack

1 Like

Thanks. I will be posting some of my older drawings and paintings before I got introduced to The Virtual Instructor. Most of them are in pastels and mixed mediums. I am happy that it has given me the ‘kick in the fanny’ to get back into my art. I’m a little rusty.

Annette, I am glad that I helped you. Great find with the easel. I know you will find it very helpful. :wink:

My parents really introduced me to art and encouraged me to work with it. They made our back stairwell into some place to show off what we did in school. Hanging them or letting me decide where I wanted to hang them or replace some that I got tired of them. Going down in the morning we all had to walk down the stairs and it made me proud. That way we did not clutter up the refrigerator.

Thank you, Biddy. I haven’t been on here in a while due to circumstances I have been going through and most recently, my husband and I have spent the last 2 months selling our home and buying a new one, a log cabin. I will probably do a drawing of our house when the dust settles.

I feel your pain, we are in the middle of a remodel and had to pack up most everything we had (on flat surfaces like table, counters, etc. Now that it is all packed up, I am tempted to tell my husband just to ‘throw it away’. After 48 years it is difficult to see what kind of “stuff” we have collected over the years. Seeing things we have had for that many years. I could not believe how I thought i would put things back in the same place.
ArtistLittleNora.Miitchell@gmail.com
Lenora Andre

Greetings! I have been watching the free videos on YouTube and enjoyed them so much that I joined. I have not drawn much since I was a young girl, but have rediscovered - thanks to Matt’s videos - how much I miss drawing! I just completed Day 1 of the “25 Days to Better Drawings” and am so excited!

1 Like