Introduce Yourself Here!

@ThomasPtasz That’s a good idea! Thanks for the welcome!

Hi everyone! Nicole here. Going to try to make a list of things: Arkansas, wife, mom of 2 daughters (22 and 19), former special education teacher (also got lic. in art before leaving teaching), always had a finger in some sort of art form (singing/crafting/acting/playing instruments/flower arranging/sewing/quilting/photography/now doing a lot of visual stuff. I used to love horseback riding/flowers/ being outside, but combo of physical autoimmune stuff, serious allergies, injuries, and tick borne illnesses, but now I am very much limited to anything outdoors or social. So, I do online art stuff.

4 Likes

Hi @sonyanicolesmith27 ! Wow, that’s a lot of art forms! Welcome to the Virtual Instructor forums, where we encourage each other to grow as artists! I would love to see your art! Jesus loves you!!!

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael from a tiny island on the map called Singapore.
I am excited to see the creativity from this forum and learn the skills of members here. Attached is a typical scene in Singapore " Shop House"

5 Likes

Hello @TSG ! Welcome to the forums! I love your artwork! Is that watercolor? Can’t wait to see what else you share! Jesus loves you!!!

I use black bullpen and Schmincke watercolor.

3 Likes

Welcome! And I love the style of this painting! It’s beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda

Hello Nicole,

Welcome to the Virtual Instructor Forum. You will find it a warm and welcoming place.

Your story is similar to mine. I also was stopped suddenly by Neurological Lyme disease and all that comes with it. I too before was really active and am pretty much housebound in a little apartment that is now mostly a studio spread out everywhere. I always worked really active jobs, hiking, volunteering at the Red Cross, helping the homeless, traveling to Central America and living in Guatemala for almost 20 years where my three children were born, 32, 31, and 27 now. I am now here in North Carolina.

I have found the Virtual Instructor Forum and membership a wonderful place to meet people with similar aspiration in the art world. I do not know if you are also a member, but the live lessons are like being in an actual classroom. Both Matt and Ashley are great teachers. After time you feel like you know them.

There is so much to learn on with the membership.

What type of artwork do you find yourself dabbling in now? I look forward to seeing some of your creativity.

Again, welcome to the forum

Teri

1 Like

Hi. I was diagnosed with Alpha-gal syndrome/allergy three years ago after several months of some severe allergy issues. Mast cell activation syndrome/disautonomia (sp?) came soon after. Lyme and long haulers Mono (EB for short, I think) are new diagnoses. Not to mention all the mental and emotional Issues.

I started back today with another year of lessons. I did not do much for my last year, which ran out in August. Finally, decided I would get busy and do the lessons instead of feeling that I’d never catch and feeling discouraged, with anything I drew or painted to post here. Going to do the beginning lessons and work on that a little everyday. I think I was just not motivated. I think I have been that way since I broke my kneecap and was laid-up before I was able to even get off the sofa. Taking PT and that was difficult, too. I just did not have the energy, then got Covid-19 even though I had taken to two vaccines, about 2 weeks after the shots. I was sick for a week, but made it through all that. I try to look at what others did and realize all this is new to me.

I’ve been painting and drawing since I was 4, loved art in nursury school. Elementary school and high school. My parents got me into a tutoring sitiation and my love grew. Spent the entire time from 8th grade through HS having lessons every Saturday. I LOVED it, loved the instructor, came awy with paintings and drawings I could be proud of. Then I entered art school and started hating art because it was no longer something I could do for my pleasure at my leisure. Suffered through that and put my supplies away.

I got married and started a family and when they started school, I could not even think about. Husband found my art supplies (about 20 years ago [both sons were grown men] and he asked me why he did not know I “painted”? He bought me some paints and brushes. My paints (well some of them) were basically still useable as well as my brushes. So I started again and my sons (especially my first born) encouraged me into trying other methods and mediums and they wanted me to paint/draw special things for them. I’ve done that for several years and also painted for other members of family and gave them for Christmas and birthday presents, when my husband said I could paint and draw I could supplement me SSD and Retirement checks by doing it, but that never materialized and I jut put them away again. I have not done squat since. I tried to watch the Sketchy sessions and even that did not spark anything in me. I submitted a painting and it was critiqued by Matt and that helped get me interested in it again. I think if I I just jump in and take that as a starting point and do it that way I win’t get so discouraged. Thank you!

Lenora

1 Like

Hello Sony…,

Yeah, as soon as Lyme is in the mix the list just keeps growing. This is why I enjoy art so much. It is something I can do at home whenever I have the energy. It is something I can learn from others and interact some with others on a decent day.

The VI is a place where I can continually grow in art and different mediums as there is so much material. It is so therapeutical. I can have more than one project in progress from different mediums at the same time. The live lessons are a way to interact with others and the critiques are a wonderful learning tool. And needless to say, both Matt and Ashley are excellent teachers.

This forum is such an encouraging place with so many people who will give honest responses to help improve anyone’s artwork.

I hope that you can find hope here as I do, though more I find hope in my faith and the One who gave me the ability to learn something I have learned to enjoy.

Teri

2 Likes

My name is ella, I live in the Fingerlakes Region of NYS. I started being very interested in most types of art later in my life, about 7 years ago. I belong to an Art (watercolor) group nearby, that meets on Zoom once a week, once a week in person. In nice weather we like to paint plein air. I have seen Matt’s you tube videos, decided to join thevirtualinstructor. He has a wonderful range of subjects. I have completed soft pastel, now am enjoying the 25 days to better drawing. Excited to be aboard.

3 Likes

Welcome, Ella. You’ll love the 25 Days to Better Drawing course. It was my first course when I joined back in July. I’ve been drawing and painting daily since then. Have a great time with all there is to learn from this amazing website.

Brenda

Welcome @ella47 ! Awesome that you’re trying different mediums, feel free to share your work, I know everyone would love to see it! Excited to welcome you aboard to these forums, where we encourage each other and share advice! Jesus loves you!!!

Hello from Victoria Australia, I am retired and began drawing about three years ago, started with graphite moved to coloured pencil now pastel pencils enjoying each challenge looking forward to improving my art through this fantastic site

3 Likes

Hello @Digger ! Welcome to the Virtual Instructor forums! This community is filled with awesome people who share epic pieces, give uplifting comments, and share helpful advice, so welcome aboard! Can’t wait to see your art! Jesus loves you!!!

Welcome @Digger! I think you’ll love the website. There is truly something for everyone!

Brenda

Hi !
I’m Vincent, I live in France and I took up drawing about a month ago. I blacken paper with pencils, pen and ink and a bit of charcoal (not on the same drawings !) I’m both excited and overwhelmed by all the learning possibilities offered by this website and I’m realy glad to join the adventure !

2 Likes

Hi @Darazdeblek , welcome to the community! You’re joining an adventure indeed, surrounded by folks who are also excited by art and the learning journey it offers! Can’t wait to see your art! Jesus loves you!!!

Welcome! I started with same things and branched into watercolor a bit for line and wash to add with pen and ink. I like to mix things together a bit to avoid weaknesses in various media by hiding with something better for that purpose. IOW - I cheat.