Introduce Yourself Here!

Hey @Darazdeblek! Welcome to the virtual instructor! Hope you find creating exhilarating and relaxing ans that your skills and love for art will both grow!
~Rae

Hi Everyone, I’m Connie in California. I’ve always enjoyed making pencil drawings but I wanted to try different media, so when I found VI, I thought “This is perfect!” Matt’s lessons are great and the artwork shared here is amazing. Thanks to Matt and you all for such a supportive and positive place to learn and share our art!

2 Likes

Hello Connie and welcome to the Virtual Instructor.

I joined for the same reasons and have been enjoying every minute. I have started so many new mediums to use, watercolor, soft pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, the list goes on and find Matt and Ashley excellent teachers and Matt is so accessible through the critiques and questions.

I enjoy all aspects of the Virtual Instructor but where I have learned the most is the critiques. I have gone back to watch almost all of the older lessons over the last year. I look forward to the new one weekly and the critiques are worth checking out.

Where are you at in CA? I was born in Glendale and lived in the area till I was eleven then moved to the Bay Area, the east Bay area to be exact till I was 23. I hope that you are safe from the storms.

Again, welcome!

Teri

Welcome, Connie! So glad you found the site. It’s amazing!

Brenda

Welcome to the community @CLynn ! :smile: You’ll find the atmosphere very encouraging and uplifting! Can’t wait to see what you create! Jesus loves you!!!

Welcome Connie! I hope you learn a ton and enjoy the process!
~rae

Hey! I’m retired and decided to see what I can accomplish in drawing with lessons. I love to draw but have not had time to really work on learning the skills to draw. I hope I can learn this much desired skill! All help is appreciated!

2 Likes

Hey @Sknunn , welcome! You’ve picked a great place to learn, this community is just really awesome and we encourage each other to grow! Can’t wait to see your work, what mediums are you currently using? Jesus loves you!!!

Hi everybody, I’m Sue from Australia and look forward to engaging with the community. I’ve been a VI member for a couple of years now and look forward to sharing some of my artwork inspired by Matt’s awesome courses and live lessons. Thanks so much for such an incredible learning platform! So much variety and inspiration!!

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, Sue! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Brenda

1 Like

Welcome @Sooz , awesome of you to join us! Please share some of your work, that’s exciting! Jesus loves you!!!

1 Like

Hi Everyone, my name is Karyn and I’m a former child artist (ie: I was “better than average”) who stopped drawing sometime in my teens. However, I never stopped “wanting” to make art (specifically drawing and sculpture/pottery) and I’ve been collecting art supplies for decades hoping just owning the supplies would entice me to use them. Unfortunately, my stressful healthcare career just always seemed to sap every bit of creativity out of my being.

Covid forced huge changes in our lives, but things have finally settled down and I’ve picked up some of my old hobbies again because I now have time. I joined the Virtual Instructor a few months ago and have watched a few lives when I could get home in time, but still wasn’t drawing along…

One of the hobbies I have picked up again is collecting rare plants…which has ignited my desire to draw again, apparently! I drew my first leaf a few weeks ago. This week, all the sudden, it just started pouring out of me. I know it’s rough and I have a lot to learn, but I have no formal art teaching and I’m super excited about how I can improve!

1 Like

Welcome, Karyn! I just met you on the Live Lesson! I hope you enjoy this experience and learn as much as I have. It’s sort of indescribable for me!

Brenda

1 Like

Glad you are finding your groove again. I was not a child artist but always liked to doodle and draw. I discovered VI a few months before retirement and decided to enroll. I used to stay I couldn’t draw to save my life. Boy, was I wrong. Thanks for Matt’s courses and philosophy (you don’t have to have an innate talent to learn how to draw or paint) I have been able to produce some very satisfying pieces. Things slowed down for a bit while I was taking care of my mother-in-law at home (she was unwell for the past 3 years and passed away at 101 on November 1th). I am now trying to pick up the pace a little and enjoying Matt’s courses and live lessons once again. I have no doubt that you will be happy with Virtual Instructor. There are many interesting photographs on Pixabay that you might enjoy using. I like succulents (for example: https://pixabay.com/photos/aloe-vera-cactus-succulent-garden-4040311/). Enjoy!
Patricia.

1 Like

Hello @MonsterEtc ! The leaves look incredible :scream: So vibrant! Can’t wait to see what else you share, you’ve landed in a great community! Jesus loves you!!!

@MonsterEtc

Hello Karyn,

I am glad that you found the forum and have joined TVI. You will not regret it. Everyone is warm and welcoming and there is so much to learn.

I too was a doodler and loved drawing as a child. I remember I had coloring books but did not want others to color in them if they did not stay inside the lines, but never thought much about it until I read your post.

Your leaves are beautiful! Some may think that they look easy to draw but they are not. Your leaves look realistic and three dimensional. Nice job!

I look forward to seeing more of your artwork and interacting on the live lessons.

TVI is a wonderful place to get excellent instruction as well as encouraging us to be our own artists.

Again, Welcome,

Teri

@Sooz welcome sue! I hope you have a great time learning!

1 Like

Hi. I am Chantal from France (65). New to oil pastels (a Xmas present from my son). I appreciate the contact with oil pastels and bright colors.
I like poetry, painting, drawing, traveling (to USA and Italy most of the time) and History. Here is my first “creation” from a video. I enjoyed doing it. Looks like a 10-year-old creation, but no no no…am not 10 :rofl:
I read with attention all the posts here and admire the various drawings or paintings I see.
Hello from my sunny France. Chantal

2 Likes

Hello @Chantal ! Don’t be so harsh on your work, the flowers look lovely, you’ve even managed to add a variance of color to show the layers of petals! Keep doing the art, we’ll be here to encourage you, as we create more art as well! Jesus loves you!!!

@Chantal

Hello Chantal,

I think you did a beautiful job on your first oil pastel drawing.

I really enjoy oil pastels and many others too. If you are a member of The Virtual Instructor, you will find many different lessons on oil pastels. Matt and his friend Ashley are wonderful, easy-going teachers that make you feel like you can do whatever you want and give many easy ways to become your own artist.

I look forward to seeing more of your artwork.

Teri