Introduce Yourself Here!

hello gracie; im recently retired and just starting drawing using the same mediums that you prefer although i cant seem to resist the urge to try watercolor too . i sometimes find myself working on 2 maybe 3 works at the same time . maybe not the best way but im loving my time away from work. tom

1 Like

Hi everyone. My name is Nancy and I have been a member since 2016 when I accidentally discovered VI. I’ve learned so much from Matt’s instruction. I always considered myself a watercolor artist but Matt has taught me not to be afraid of trying new mediums. So now I think I’ve tried everything but oils and acrylics lol. My favorites though are watercolor, pen and ink, and my new love colored pencil. I’ve been experimenting with combining different mediums and using toned paper, and often have multiple projects going on at the same time.

6 Likes

My name is Robert Bennett I’m 46 yo from Florida have always been into art my dad started me drawing at around 6 yo been doing it off and on ever since I’m a aspiring tattoo artist I love drawing pretty much anything even vintage art …I’m hoping this will help me get better and advance to new levals thank u guys for such a awesome site I’m learning alot already and I just started

3 Likes

Hello,

My name is Pam Sims and I live in the US. I a am a very new artist myself. Just started drawing about 8 months ago. I was challenged by my husband to draw art for my children’s books, but I had no prior experience and knew I needed help and I found two very capable instructors online and Matt was one of them. I have worked my way through a lot of the courses and my little studio is getting crowed with materials. I have to date sold a few pieces from art that I created by following Matt’s instructions. I think that it is not a bad start for myself. I hesitate to call myself an artist but along this journey I have had so many friends comment on my work and that is truly a wonderful feeling.

I tell everyone who thinks I was born with this talent that they can do it too if they want to learn. Until a few month ago I didn’t think I could either. So, thank you Matt for making it possible to learn to be an artist without spending a fortune on art classes or going to college, all great things, but not all of us can do that. Please keep those projects coming. I have gone through quite a few of them already. I haven’t quite figured out the media that I love the most. I am going to try gouache next. I love watercolor and colored pencils, but honestly I haven’t worked with anything I didn’t like love. I wonder though if I should perfect one thing and focus on that before jumping to something else. Doing them all can and does get a bit expensive when you feel like you have to run out and buy all the supplies to be able to do the lessons the same way as Matt.

2 Likes

thanks for sharing your skills and knowledge with the public. You are making a credible difference and helping all of us.
Ps. I love your lesson Plans
keep it going

1 Like

Really enjoyed your color mixing video with Matt on YouTube!

Hi everyone,
New to the forum. I joined VI last year . Hope to check in and share more regular now.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words. I had a good time with that one for sure!

Hi, I just saw your message. I was also a participant in the older forum. I started my adventure with painting from this webside. I have sketched my cat many times, it is a very good model :smile: About a year ago I painted him with pastel. As you asked, I attach the painting

4 Likes

Hi, I am Bejay from Cumbria, England’s stunningly beautiful Lake District. I have been with Matt for some years but never used the community page so bear with me as I learn. After dabbling in all the various media Matt teaches, except oils, I finally realised I needed to learn to draw a couple of years ago and fell in love with graphite and ink work (I just get so totally absorbed by observation and trying to replicate) but problems with my eyesight limits detailed work so I have developed a passion for pastels, especially combined with underpainting in other media. Look forward to sharing and viewing what everyone is doing and mutual help and encouragement.

4 Likes

Hi Bejay! I hear you on dabbling! haha and on the eyesight problems…sighs! Yes! I did not expect it either!
But, they are ok now, and so far mainteining…
Hope you enjoy your art!
Isabel

1 Like

Oh! Those eyes!!! ha

Hi y name is Anne and I live in the State of New Hampshire on the seacoast. I love Matt’s instruction and while I do not feel that I am good enough to share any work yet, I do enjoy reading your comments and seeing what you are currently working on. You are all so talented and I aspire to become a good artist someday. I absolutely love all of the classes and am attempting all of the live lessons plus taking the beginner’s classes. Enough to keep me busy for a lifetime of enjoyment!!!

3 Likes

Hello, Anne (with an “E”). Welcome!

Hello friends, my name is Marcus and I am new to this forum. I once used art when I was a teen to express myself, be creative and used art as a great escape from the regular pressures of growing up. Raising a family and a career had taken precedence for many years and now with the kids grown and out of the house, I am looking to getting back to my first passion - art. I started with graphite and charcoal drawing and have explored other mediums through this great website. I have recently started doing some art quilting with my wife as well. Not sure where I am going with all this but more or less just having fun with it all. Looking forward to learning and growing as a new (again) artist and so glad to be back.

5 Likes

Hello everybody!
I enjoy painting natural and botanical subjects with watercolor. Lately, I’ve discovered that pen and ink, and color pencils techniques are sparkling enthusiasm in my art!

4 Likes

Hi,

I’m Mikka (short for Mikkaela), I’m 43 years old, I live in Germany, and I have recently gotten back into art after an art hiatus of 20+ years. (I drew and painted a lot when I was a child, teen and young adult.) I’m currently following tutorials like crazy, trying to get a feel for different media. I’m looking forward to learning a lot here! :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Glad to see that I’m not the only one who did a lot of art as a kid and is getting back into it after a long time! :slight_smile: Isn’t it exiting? I’m so happy to have gotten back art.

3 Likes

Hello All. I am Suzyq0824 (Susan McCollum). I recently retired from academia and would love to improve my art skills. I have always loved art in all its forms. Being initially trained as a biologist, I have a deep love for all of nature and I love to draw and paint plants and animals. I hope to be a contributing member in the forum and hope to get constructive feedback. Many, many years ago I did lots of pen and ink specimen drawings in graduate school. I have never had any formal training. I did take a painting class as an elective in grad school but it didn’t include any instruction. I have pens, pencils, water colors, acrylics, and oils (which I am afraid to open). I really don’t know where to begin… I’m excited to be here. I hope to learn for the community.

4 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Michael Debettencourt, I’m a retired 73 year old who has dabbled in art most of my life. While at times I found enjoyment and some degree of success, I never seemed to find the time or inclination to pursue my art seriously. Since retirement I now have plenty of time to explore all sorts of art mediums . After discovering “the virtual instructor” a half dozen years ago, I’ve attempted just about every medium presented. I find Matt’s instruction extremely useful. I’m looking forward to learning and exploring all that Matt has to offer. Art has now become a highly enjoyable pastime in retirement for me.

3 Likes