Ivy The ChowChow

Ivy the Chow. I was on holiday in the Brecon Beacons in Wales when I spotted Ivy outside of a supermarket. I asked the owner if I could take a photo of her. This is the result which is drawn onto Hahnemuhle velour light grey paper using a selection of pastel pencils and a few Sennelier soft pastels.

6 Likes

The face and the paws look so realistic. Beautiful job! Love the colors.

1 Like

What a great shot. He is adorable!

1 Like

Looks like you could reach out and touch him. I love pastels!

1 Like

Hi Debra, I am so impressed. Wow! Absolutely stunning. It totally looks like a photo. And Ivy is indeed a very cute and beautiful little “sitter”. Which pastel pencils did you use?

BTW, if your skill level is the standard in this forum, I am not sure, if I dare to post any of my drawings or paintings without getting embarresed about all my artistic shortcomings. Hopefully, I’m not the only one feeling this way.

Hi AnnaMaria,
Thank you for your lovely comment. We all have to start somewhere and it takes time to perfect a result you are happy with. I have always enjoyed drawing not always very good. It was only when I did a graphite drawing course which hepled me immensely did I see an improvement. From here I wanted to do colour and set on pastels. I tried the blocks but, I like more detail so I now use pastel pencils. Faber Castell, Derwent and Stabilo Carb-o-thello. They’re less messy too.

1 Like

The chow chow looks very realistic and I love the perspective on the tiles leading to the back of the picture. Very nicely done.

Thank you Suzy for your comment on Ivy and the pavement perspective. The furthest away slabs should be shorter in length but, I did my own thing as the background was rather messy with shopping trolleys hence the hedge. Deb

1 Like

Very impressive! The way you did the fur is gorgeous.

Thank you Mikka for your lovely comment regarding the fur. Deb

Ivy is beautiful and very life like. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

This is absolutely beautiful, I love how puffy her fur looks!

1 Like