Landscape w/graphite

A la Matt’s live lesson. I’m using Mi-tientes, which is maybe too course. It’s not easy pulling up the graphite with the erasers. Using same - kneaded, tombow mini vinyl and electric (which seemed to scuff it- have to be more careful) erasers. This is a picture I took at Copper Harbor in the tippy tip of the Upper Peninsula last month. I’m a little disgruntled. Not sure if it’s “that” phase of the art, or if I should be doing something else.

1 Like

Hi Bonnie @bonniebartoarnold
Thanks for sharing your artwork with us. It looks like you’re on the right track with the things taught in the Live Lessons. It sounds like you’re looking for feedback so I’ll make a couple of comments. I think if you had a bigger range of values that would strengthen the drawing, like some darker darks in the background. The tree should probably be a little fuller. Notice on the reference how each individual leaf is not as well defined as it is in your drawing. Rather there are clumps of leaves in several locations. Finally, because of the photo you selected, I think your composition looks a little heavy on the right side. I don’t know if you have ever watched any of the Members Minutes, but that is something I make sure to do every week. It takes less than a 1/2 hour and artists of all skill levels learn a lot from these. It is in these weekly critiques that Matt stresses the importance of having a range of value. He also discusses composition and the importance of having a balance of positive and negative space. Actually there have been several of my submissions where Matt shared ways to fix my not so perfect (not balanced) composition. Hope these comments are helpful and please keep sharing your work.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Hello Bonnie @bonniebartoarnold

I think you are to a beautiful start. Keep going!

In regards to the paper for the live lesson that Matt just taught in graphite I did not have the same paper so used Colorline by Canson

This is tough and does well with the electric eraser as well as the Tombow and kneaded erasers.

In my case I am using Luminous by Staedtler and am having to use the softer grades of graphite to get the values right.

Also my paper is not as bright a white by the Canson Colorline does have a polar white. You can buy them in full sheets on Blick;s site and they are really inexpensive to try out.

I think that any suggestions for improvement you have wonderful advise from Terri (there are two of us as I am Teri with 1r) and I take her advice as gems of a precious treasure to keep in my mental art toolbox.

I look forward to seeing your drawing complete. I don’t throw away anything I am not satisfied with. I set it aside for a day, few days, even weeks or months then bring it out again with new eyes.

Like Terri said, Thank you for sharing your artwork with us.

Teri

2 Likes

Thank you both, T1r and T2r!! Of course. The range of values! And I appreciate TLB the comments about paper. I think this is part of my problems. The electric eraser is too harsh on this paper. I also did not use white paper, and I can see how that is limiting the value range. My art at this point in my experience is always me experimenting and trying to learn from those situations. I have used the matt graphic pencils to try to make the darkest value. Iffy on the results of that. Composition balance, I had thought about adding a flock of gulls, or maybe a boat. I will check into the MM. I have not as of yet. I do enjoy Matt’s suggestions. Thank you both for your help.

1 Like

Bonnie,

I think every project we create no matter how experienced or inexperienced we are is a project in learning.

We always learn by our own success and mistakes. Believe me, I know about mistakes!!

Just keep going forward…and as Matt says "Practice, Practice, Practice!

Teri w1r