Lets have some fun - new chat

It’s time to start a new conversation to get our members talking and sharing. Interacting with each other is what adds value to the forum. I’m posting a photo of what I’m working on right now and what my work area looks like.

It would be fun if all of you would post a photo of what you’re working on, or maybe something you started a while ago that still needs to be finished. Or you could just show us what your area looks like when you’re involved in creating your own art. It’s even okay if you post something else that you think others would like to see. Ask a question if you prefer. Just reach out in some way and stay involved. That’s how friendships are formed.

Terri Robichon

4 Likes

Great Idea Terri! I’ll go first.

3 Likes

Hi Jim @1kidneyJD - I’m so glad you decided to play along. So I see you are using the grid method for your drawing. You might have read in one of my past posts that I pretty much trace (transfer) everything I work on. It’s great that there are various ways to do it, whatever works best.

You are very organized. I am too, but once I start drawing the supplies get a little out of control (until the end of a project, when it gets put back where it belongs).

Sure hope you post this drawing when you’re done. It’s looking great so far.

Terri Robichon

Hello Terri, when I first started drawing, I did everything freehand, the drawings were not good. Then came the learning of proportions which improved the drawings somewhat. When I came across the grid method my first thought was “this is cheating”, now I use it on everything I draw.
Organized? Truth be told I staged it to look that way because that is how it looks in the first few minutes of starting a project. Once the piece starts the supplies are all over the table.
I am anxious to finish this and post it, especially since I shared it here.
I hope to see more participation. It would be nice to connect with others.
Jim

1 Like

I am working in a small corner of my office. It’s a mess. I’m constantly moving the set up around depending on what I am working on. I’m just finishing up a still life and have a painting drying. The corner of my desk is my layout area. We are also trying to get ready to move.

Just craziness!

Lenet

4 Likes

Hi Jim. Yup, I plan to post my drawing too, and I’m almost done after working on it all day. I also hope several more will play along with us.

Terri Robichon

Hi Lenet. Thanks so much for posting. Now that I’ve seen the finished drawing (congrats for the first charcoal and still life) it’s fun to see the photos of both in your work space. So do you draw standing up at the easel? Are you moving long distance or staying in the same general area? Will your new home have a dedicated place for working on your art? I could probably ask a dozen questions but will stop now.

Terri Robichon

Hello Terri @robichon. I have been standing and working at the easel lately. Prior to starting the painting, I would use the kitchen table. I’m liking the easel and standing. I do sit from time to time, it depends on media.

The current space is a little tight and I have to turn around to get my paints. As you can tell, my still life was set up on top of my printer. It is small and doubles as our office. It is not the greatest art space, but I make it work. It gets a little crowed, when Bruno, my 160 lb Cane Corso thinks he needs to come help Dad paint or draw, and of course he wants to lay down where I stand to paint.

I will have a dedicated studio when we move. Our home is ready, and my garage and shop are alomst done. When I finish out my wood shop, I may eventuality build a dedicated studio. For now, I will have a room in the house dedicated as a studio.

Lenet

@robichon , we are moving from Texas to Mississippi. I bought a 21 acre property. Can’t wait to get away from the Dallas area. Call me crazy, but this place is getting crazy. When I was working, it was taking me 1:15 to 1:45 to drive 32 miles to/from work. They are builing new developments all around us with 5,000 to 10,000 homes in each. Apartments are coming up as well so you can imagine the amount of craziness. My 21 acre tract cost me kess than a half acre lot here. Plus I have 2 stocked ponds.

3 Likes

I’ll join the fun! Here’s my messy little area in my office. I typically don’t clean up while I’m working on a project so the tools I’m using are right there each time I sit down. The raised drawing height is nice and really helps my neck. The magnifying light I bought recently is awesome for details. Thank you Terri @robichon for starting the chat… connection is always a good thing.

3 Likes

Lenet, Thanks for joining the party. I have been trying to get out of California seems like forever. Way back I had my sights on Idaho. Then it was Tennessee. I only want ten acres with the house in the middle of the property.
Jim

1 Like

Hello Tania, good to have you along. I start my projects with everything where I want those items to be, I even tell myself to put the pencil back where I got it from after using it, to no avail. Everything gets scattered.
Jim

1 Like

Hi Tania -
So glad you decided to join in. WOW, that hand is looking pretty good but I can’t see enough of the reference to figure out what is going on. I look forward to your post of the completed drawing. I love seeing how each of us manage all the stuff that is needed to create art.

Hi Lenet @lenetg137, @1kidneyJD . Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was away from the computer a couple days. Lenet, sometime (probably months from now) you’ll have to show us the studio in your new home.

It sounds like one thing several of us have in common is a desire to get away from living in busy metropolitan areas. My husband and I bought a lake home for our retirement years. It sits on a 618 acre lake in a rural area, about 2 hours west of the Twin Cities (of Minneapolis and St Paul) in Minnesota. The original house was built in 1979. We totally gutted and remodeled that, and then doubled the size of the house with an addition which is where our shared “hobby room” is located on the lower walk-out level. We have two lots which total 2 acres, with 300’ of shoreline. Across the road is a large wetland. Many lots on our dead-end street are empty, or have weekend occupants. I love the seclusion. I could never go back to city living again.

I’ll wrap up with the posting of my just finished colored pencil drawing of a “boat orchid”. The reference photo came from the Nature Studio. The drawing is 8x10 on PastelMat paper.

Terri Robichon

5 Likes

Thank you! This piece has turned into a “OMG what was I thinking” piece :laughing: My first hand and first drawing without it being from a tutorial. But it sure is fun to see the hand coming to life. I’m finding that for me, graphite is very relaxing… probably because I can erase if need be.

3 Likes

Hello y’all! It’s been a while, but I’m back. Sniffles linger, but it’s that season…
I saw some of your lovely posts and as always It’s so inspiring!
The box drawing!, the hand!, the orchids!!!, the orchids!!!, and the orchids!!
So here’s a sample of the staff I’ve been working on. None of them finished…

4 Likes

Hi Sonia @Meme5 - so nice to have you join in. Are the rose and pears using oil paints? Everything looks like they’re almost done and looking very good (as you know I absolutely love the dog). Glad to hear you’re feeling better. Missed you last week at the Live Lesson.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Missed you all too. Can’t wait to try the duck in acrylics…
No, they’re all in soft pastels. The little pears’ drawing, I did on a break at work.

1 Like

I live in a small apartment, so I don’t have a consistent place where I can draw. I use our kitchen table for a few hours between meals. Here are my most recent drawings. I would love to have space to paint one day!

4 Likes

Hi @Tania , nice to see we are not the only artists here who work in chaos. Hey, but whatever works, right? I usually try to straighten up after each project, if not daily. I can’t leave certain materials out or my dog will literally eat them.

Lenet

2 Likes