Rhino Live Lesson

I’m ready for live lesson 3! I don’t know if I added too much white pastel or not, but I guess from my understanding, the graphite pencil will go right over it. Anyone else doing the live lessons?

3 Likes

No, I am not doing the live lesson, but I just may start. I was unable to watch them, because of church on Wednesday nights. I am not going during the winter, because I can’t drive at night, so I think I will start this rhino. You are doing great! Very nice sketch and the horn detail looks really good.

1 Like

I have been watching. I ordered the white charcoal pencil and paper but they will not be here until January 20.
I think we will be finished with it by then.

1 Like

Thanks Ginny! The horn is so interesting to draw. I was just watching the first two lessons to catch up but plan on doing the live lesson tonight. It’s so relaxing! PS I’m not big on night driving either. Those headlights blind me.

Hi Ken :slight_smile:
I missed the first two live lessons. I had to order the paper and graphite pencils actually, and luckily they arrived yesterday so I was able to get caught up!

Great job! I love seeing the work in progress. I have only been able to pop in on a live lesson 1 or 2 times and never for the whole hour so I tend to just watch the recordings while doing chores. At some point in my life, I am going to pick one and draw along with the recording.

1 Like

Thanks Lori! I like his live lessons because it’s easy to follow along and he’s really clear about what he’s doing. The rhino going to be interesting as we go along, with all the creases and wrinkles!!

So much fun tonight on Lesson 3! I learned a LOT about those rhino wrinkles with light and dark values! I think I’m going to work more overall on the wrinkles and maybe tweek the horn a little.

2 Likes

That looks great, Rain! I need to get caught up. LOL!

1 Like

Thanks Ginny! I’m so happy I found this site, I’m very much enjoying it. I hope you get caught up! That rhino is a lesson in patience with all of those wrinkles!!

Lesson #4 was a lot of fun! I think that maybe I’m getting carried away with the wrinkles and scales, but I decided I’m doing the rhino more naturally rather than following and copying the reference photo exactly. I love this, I’d love to see other people’s progress photos!

2 Likes

I will post mine later. I need to work on it a little more. And I don’t have time to take a picture and post it right now. Yours is looking really good. I had fun last night, too. Matt seems to be really enjoying himself and the rhino appears to be happy, too. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, his rhino is definitely a happy fella. :slight_smile:
I’m going to work on mine a little more today while it’s fresh in my brain, I’m looking forward to seeing yours!

1 Like

Mine doesn’t look at all like Matt’s but I still like it! I can’t wait to finish it!

3 Likes

I haven’t had time to touch it and I missed the live lesson! Bummer! Yours looks great. It doesn’t have to look like anyone else’s, it just has to look like a rhino. You have succeeded! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks Ginny :slight_smile:
Matt said maybe 2-3 more lessons to finish it. I love the live lessons but part of me wants to try to finish it on my own!!

1 Like

They kept stalling on delivering my order for paper and a White Graphite pencil. Today they told me that it was lost and they want to send it again.
I told them it was too late to go through that again so I cancelled the order and am going to wait for the watercolor lesson. All the materials for that one are available here. I have most of them already.

That sucks Ken! I don’t know how orders get lost with all the tracking and everything! I’m looking forward to the watercolour too!

Love seeing your" in progress" updates.
I’m going to try to follow Matt’s next graphite drawing.
You seem to be nailing the shading.
Fantastic rhino!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I’m trying not to “over shade” though…I get a little carried away!