Sequential Drawing

This is the beginning part of the film I’m currently working on. I used to enjoy watching classical B&W silent movies before, and I am going to apply that nostalgic atmosphere in my next work.

This part takes only 7 seconds of the film. Given that the entire film will take around 30 minutes, looks like I have to draw literally tons of works ahead. But pen-drawing is such a huge fun, and compared to pastel drawing, I don’t need to do any sort of additional jobs such as preparation before I start drawing and clean-up afterwards. Small works can be drawn within 10 min or so, so I believe I can complete the whole film within a couple of months.

It took me a while to decide on what kind of style will fit for this film, now that it has been settled, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel :blush:

5 Likes

Hi Maki,

These drawings are wonderful! I hope that you’ll share your animation when you’re finished!

1 Like

Hi Maki
These are great and look forward to seeing the animation! I have always marvelled at films, like the original Disney’s for example, that were all drawn frame by frame. Remarkable precision drawing that must have been combined with speed to make them doable.
James

1 Like

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing. Really gorgeous work!

1 Like

I love it. I’m looking forward to seeing the animation, also.

1 Like

Many thanks for your kind words, Kathy :smiley:

Hi James,

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad that there are some people who are interested in animation making because since I joined VI this Feb., I’ve been feeling that the majority of the members are, sort of, pretty realism-oriented. So I have been pondering if I might be a bit out of place here :sweat_smile:
But I am very encouraged by your comment, and I will do my best to complete my new animation work within a reasonable time-frame. Seriously, it is really important that I do not allow myself to spend too much time on a single work because animation making require enormous efforts, so if you drag, you will NEVER get the job done. Concentration is the biggest key.
Thank you again for your encouragement!

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Art animation is actually such a niche artistic field and it is very rare that I get any sort of encouragement about what I am doing. By nature I don’t pay so much attention if somebody encourages me when I am working on something which I myself find interesting. As long as I am enjoying what I am doing, I don’t care about what others think about it. BUT your encouragement bumped up my motivation. My own enjoyment has always been the biggest source of motivation as I know the value of enjoyment of creating a totally new world utilizing your own idea in an otherwise vacant space. I have been keeping this, sort of, internal-combustion engine working for myself, but looks like encouragement from others has a really positive impact on the engine efficiency.
Thank you again for your kind comment. I will definitely share the completed film :blush:

Hi Ginny,

Thank you for your lovely comment. I have been making animation for some years but somehow I have never tried using hand-drawn artworks before. So it surely is a bit of a challenge, but now that I know that I can enjoy pen-drawing so much, I believe I can enjoy the whole creation process of this new film. Yes, I will share it once complete. Thank you! :blush: