So far so good?

I’ve been working on tree drawings since last Dec preparing for a Sep show and these are the show items ready as of today:

:arrow_left: This baobab piece is the very first one I’ve drawn with a ballpoint pen back in Jul 2019.

The last one is the newest work completed today.

On my to-do list, there still are some other items such as “fox and tree”, “water reflection of trees”, “snow on branches” so on and on.
Any recommendations which may help to make the show enjoyable? :thinking: :cat: :tumbler_glass:

10 Likes

These are great Maki. I see you are branching out and adding more cats to your work.

1 Like

Hello Denise, thank you so much for your kind words! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :cat:

1 Like

Some photos from my tree drawings show held at venue #1 Café Karoshi.
I was not available for displaying my drawings on the 1 Sep, so I asked one of the local handyman services to do the job for me.
He has been experienced in an unbelievably wide range of tasks, but an art show prep was a totally new job for him, so at first he seemed a bit nervous about accepting my job offer.
As it turned out, though, he did it perfectly as you can see from these photos!

This is the video covering the show at this café:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArFKJCoW3Qa0g5ZeUGi_jWb0l3yxzQ?e=A4wHdA

2 Likes

Maki,

These are all so wonderful. Such an amazing range of subject matter with the trees, animals, cats of course, etc.

Has the show started, or is it later in the month. I wish I could walk through and see them all in person, but pictures and the video will have to do.

It might be interesting if you did something like a fallen trunk in the snow with a fox or other animal walking on it, or bare trees shadows in the snow besides on the branches.

Also the great sequoias and redwoods in California have some interesting burns that create like caves in them

giant-redwood-trees-in-california-1392267366me9.jpg (1920×1280) (publicdomainpictures.net)

a33fa82a1c28b23e4790cf6f5181d55e.jpg (682×720) (pinimg.com)

Reddit - https://i.redd.it/06ajjf5v4al41.jpg

Just some thoughts.

Teri

2 Likes

I love ink work. You have a tremendous stamina with yours.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words, Emily! :smiley: :cat: :tada:

Hello Nella, thank you so much for your very kind words! :tada: :cat: :smiley:

Hello Teri, thank you so much for your kind words!
The show has started in one of the venues. The second venue show will start on the 23rd this month.
I wish I could do the same kind of show at somewhere you can actually come in person. That would be so fun! :smiley: :cat: :tada:
Thank you for some suggestions for new works too! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi Maki -
I so love seeing all of your work. Where do you get your ideas? Do you use reference photos or does it just flow from your incredible brain? I love my cats, but your work has also taught me to appreciate them even more. Love when you have cat eyes shining out from your art.
Wishing you well with your shows.
Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Most recent works to be included for the show!

Hello Terri, thank you so much for your very kind words!

Every time I hear people say “my cat(s)”, I get very envious. I don’t know how many hours I’ve spent watching cat videos. But this cat-less circumstances are something appropriate for me, at least now, because if I had cats I would spend the whole day playing with them and ignore everything else.

As to where I get my ideas, my answer would become so long that I could write a book or two covering the subject. It is too time-consuming, so I will just share part of my ideas I’ve written here at this forum in my discussions with other forum members. Would you please check the following links to read them:

Hope they will be of some use for you!

Hello Maki,

How is the show going? You must be excited about starting the second one after putting so much work into these pieces. I am looking forward to hear about and see more of both shows.

I too wish that you could do a show close by here, that would be fun!!

Teri

1 Like

Thanks Maki so much for the time you spent in responding to me. I’ve started looking at the things you’ve linked but haven’t gotten thru all of it yet. It is indeed helpful. Since I’ve only been a member at The Virtual Instructor for less than 2 years, I have only seen your pen drawings. What a treat to see your pastel drawing on the older members minute. (I also read your comments after the critique.) I’m grateful for all of your contributions, both now and in the past.

I have watched every critique since becoming a member, but now it’s clear that I should watch a couple of the older ones every week also until I’ve seen them all :slight_smile:

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Maki, Awesome work. Your work always inspires me. I would love to see your take on a large mossy live oak under a full moon. Your moon pictures are unique.

1 Like

Hello Teri, thank you so much for your kind words.
I wish I could say I’m really excited, but I have to admit that I am too tired for that.
That’s not only because of the long and hard work that has been continuing since last December but also and mainly because of the huge amount of stress that I have been through taking care of my mother during this time.
Two years ago, she had a vertebra compression fracture and a cerebral infarction, which she has survived thanks to an immediate treatment. But she fell in the living room this May which caused her a femoral neck fracture. After the surgery and two months of hospitalization, she became so weak and her dementia got worse. Since she came back home in July, I have somehow managed to keep her alive, but it was very tough because she often refused to eat, go to the toilet, and tried to walk around when I took my eyes off her. Due to dementia, she does not understand that now she cannot walk safely without somebody’s assistance. And it is only about a week ago that I had to get her hospitalized again because she did not tried to eat anything. I had a chance to speak with a nurse who’s in charge of caring my mother yesterday, and she told me that mum is doing fine now. But she is going to have a hip replacement arthroplasty shortly, which makes me really nervous. The doctor recommends that she move to a nursing home after the surgery, giving up living at her own home, and it looks like I have to agree with his idea.
Once she settles in a nursing home, I think I will be able to sleep peacefully again.
I just hope every remaining tasks will go well.

3 Likes

Hi Lenet, thank you so much for your kind words. Your idea of another tree drawing sounds fascinating. Thank you for the splendid suggestion! :cat2:

Hi Terri, thank you so much for your kind reply.

As I have written in my reply to Teri, I’ve been going through a really stressful years recently. That I received some kind words from you and other VI members occasionally has helped so much for me to survive these years somehow.
Thank you again, my heartfelt gratitude. :cat2:

1 Like

Hello sweet @Maki,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with your mother: i think dementia is a cruel illness, and it takes a lot of energy and time to care for a loved one. I think it is imperative to get enough rest to recharge. I hope your mother’s surgery goes very well and she feels better after it.
I’ll l also pray for your peace of mind as well as your mother’s as she recovers.

1 Like