Some Kettle Korn to Sweeten things up!

I was hesitant of posting this picture because there were issues with it. As you can see, the popcorn in the copper bowl is quite blurry. AS much as I have worked on Bokeh backgrounds, this is one time that I tried not to do that! I used Strathmore Gray Scale 400 series on black. If you have used this paper, you know that it has a quilted surface and it primarily for dry mediums. However, I tried using a white Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen for doing the whites of the popcorn. The result is the liquid white bled quite a bit and produced the blurry effect. As much as I tried to correct it with different methods, nothing worked. So, this is the result. It looks good when standing away from it at about six feet, but getting close to it makes for it to go out of focus. Any suggestions on how to use this kind of Grey Scale Paper more effectively? Thanks for your comments.
Jack

6 Likes

Hi Jack, That’s a really interesting subject you chose. The popcorn on the table is very effective and well designed. The popcorn in the container needs more dark spaces, I think. I’m a complete newbie to the art world, but every teacher I’ve had says you need more dark spaces to offset the light places. Hope that works for you. Good luck and keep popping!

1 Like

Very nice. I don’t think I’d have the patience to draw each kernel of corn. Funny, I was thinking about making some popcorn, but I guess I finished off a while back and didn’t want any til now.

Thank you Janice! We just finished off some popcorn here!

Jack

Actually I like the effect. Good job.

1 Like

Candace,
Yes, I agree. However the addition of the “white” artist pen really messed it up for me. It was practically impenetrable once I got it on the kernels in the bowel. I tried using an electric eraser to get it off a bit, but it would not budge. The lesson learned here is that I picked the wrong paper to start off with. Other than that, the photo reference I used was a good one. Thanks for the input.
Jack

Thanks Denise, you are too kind! I appreciate your comment.
Jack