Starting a new watercolor painting

I’m starting a new watercolor, and keeping my fingers crossed that it will be finished before Christmas. Thought I’d post my progress. I love it when others do that. Because of the level of detail I strive for, I almost always start with a tracing - which includes both lines and sometimes shading that will be hidden by darker colors. This painting is 11 x 14. It is taped to a 16 x 20 piece of glass that is taped to white foam core board. The smooth glass surface is perfect to work on. This is lightweight, rigid, can be propped at an angle and is easy to rotate as I paint. This supporting surface can be used as a paint pallet for other oil/acrylic projects too.

At the end of my first day, I have added some light washes to start mapping out where the colors are located. At the end of day two I’m adding more layers of washes (now up to 5 layers for the background), working to preserve the highlight areas. Terri Robichon (on Nov 17, 2023)

3 Likes

I look forward to watching the progress. I keep promising myself to practice painting. I’m looking forward to the next live lesson, what about you?

1 Like

Hi Jane. I like all the live lessons, but really looking forward to one with watercolors.
Terri Robichon

1 Like

Terri, I loved this photo when you posted it to Facebook, but OMG I think this painting will far exceed the beauty of the photo. Love that you’re posting your progress. It has already helped me on my journey to become a watercolorist at some point. Watercolor has always been my ultimate desire as an artist, but it is such a complex medium. I will get there!

Brenda

1 Like

Wow - that is looking great already. Thanks for sharing your progress

1 Like

Thanks Brenda for your kind words and always being so supportive. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out okay. That isn’t always the case.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

This is great. I love it

1 Like

Here’s the next photo after 3rd day of painting. Today all I worked on was Anne’s sweatshirt and jeans. Also another layer on the background.

Terri Robichon

Hello @robichon this is already amazing. I instantly recognized the image and likeness as I opened this thread without going back to the photo you posted a while back. That’s a really good indication of how the final product will be. Keep us posted. Anxious to see your progress.

Lenet

Thanks Lenet for your support. I probably have to leave it alone for a week for Thanksgiving activities but am trying to have it done before Christmas.

Terri Robichon

Terri (with two 'r’s)

Beautiful, as all of your artwork. Wonderful piece of your sisters.

Teri (with one ‘r’)

1 Like