Christmas week - the Members Minute

It’s hard to express how great it feels (and how honored I am) when Matt selects one of my submissions for the Members Minute. It’s nice to receive Matt’s praises, but also helpful to hear from him where there could be improvement. I’m not sure how many of my friends here on the forum watch the weekly critique (I highly recommend it as something to do every week), so I thought I’d post my artwork here too. It’s a watercolor of my grandparents and 3 cousins with Santa. Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Terri Robichon

4 Likes

Terri,

I just commented on the critique. Wonderful painting, but I expect nothing less as you are a fantastic artist.

The other Teri

2 Likes

Teri,
You are such a positive and supportive person. Knowing you makes me a better person. Thanks for who you are and all the kind words you have for all the artists here.

Terri Robichon

Hello Terri @robichon that is an awsome watercolor. I will have to go back and catch the critique. Have not watched this week’s yet. I thought that was an actual photo at first. Excellent work.

Lenet

1 Like

Excellent work! My blurry almost 8am eyes thought that you were sharing a photo until I read the full text. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks lenetg137 and janed. I really appreciate your kind words. Happy New Year!

Terri Robichon

Wow, this is amazing @robichon Like the other commentators, I took it for a photo. Very inspirational! I love the expressions!
May I ask how many hours you worked on this? I didn’t know you could get so much detail in watercolour.

1 Like

Hi jennilein -
Thanks for the kind words. I can’t even guess how much time this one took. I don’t keep track, especially on big projects. Watercolor is my first and favorite medium and I’m a very structured / detailed painter. If you’d like to see others of my watercolors that Matt discussed on the Members Minutes, check out episodes 354 (ice skates), 396 (my sister working on a puzzle), 418 (a grain elevator - now this one is loaded with detail), and 452 (an old car by a barn).

For me to obtain the detail, they have to be larger images. I use 300# hot press watercolor paper which is thick and has a very smooth surface and very small / fine brushes. Also worth noting: my initial drawings are ALWAYS TRACED so that the locations of the details are exact.

Terri Robichon

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your supplies, I bought a 00 brush recently, that’s really really small. Hope to use it for some pet portraits once I am more advanced with the medium!
I have watched the barn, and was impressed, but since I love doing portraits this one was even more so! I will watch the others definitely!

1 Like

Hi Terri,
This is a wonderful portrait. I haven’t (yet) watched the critique, although I always make sure to catch them. You are so good at watercolours! For me, it’s the one medium that just doesn’t suit me… I prefer to look at them :wink:
Happy New Year!
Patricia.

1 Like

Hi Patricia (sterlingsiam) - Thanks so much for your comment. I’ve just started an oil painting and can’t believe what a struggle it is. I’m totally awful at it - no exaggeration. So, I know what you mean when you say a medium just doesn’t suit you. I told my husband I had to stop because I just wasn’t getting it and go find some more lessons to figure it out. He agreed with me.
Terri Robichon

1 Like

Incredible :hushed:
It Looks like a Photograph :hushed:

1 Like

@robichon Oh my goodness graciousness! I could’ve sworn I had praised your painting before. This painting is so beautifully realistic!
Love it

1 Like

Thanks so much. You did already have really nice things to say at the Members Minute site.

Terri Robichon

1 Like