Troubles with dip pens

I purchased the Manuscript beginner’s calligraphy fountain pen set for working with the Pen and Ink Experience lessons. I’ve tried to handle the pens as I see Matt doing in the lessons. No matter which nib size I used, I was unable to get smooth or consistent lines. The pens kept skipping while trying to hatch or cross hatch. I have no such problems with Sakura Pigma Micron pens. Would the problem be pen quality or how I’m using them?

1 Like

It could be that you don’t have enough ink in the nib or you are pressing down to hard. I have that problem too. If I go lightly it seems to work better.

1 Like

There is an art to the ink dip and drip, as I like to call it (dip the ink down past the middle of the nib or heart/hole part in the nib and then take the nib on the edge to get the drips off). Another secret…When you start with a new nib–do one of these two things–use your spit to clean the nib off and then wipe it off with a tissue (yea, I know, gross), or take some cleaner to get the oil residue off the nib. The nibs are often coated with oil to help with rust with on the shelf. The ink will not stick to the nib with it on there. Some calligraphers use a match to burn it off (Michael Sull being one of them).

1 Like

I have a vintage calligraphy set, glass dip pens, oblique and straight dip pen holders for nibs as well as quite a large assortment of fountain pens, inks, and papers for writing.
My favorite nib would be the Brausse Rose Nib in a straight holder or a glass dip pen (if glass tip is smooth). I would probably just draw with a fountain pen, and it would depend on the line I would be wanting as to which one. Many people enjoy TWSBI eco pens and fill them with a waterproof ink such as Platinum Carbon Black or Noodlers Bulletproof. I like Colorverse’s waterproof Black and DeAtriamentias’ Document White and Navy

What are you using for ink? Remember that dip pens can’t be “pushed”, the pull should be along the axis of the slot rearward (sometimes an angle works but trying the basic out first). Let the weight of the nib rest on the paper, should just glide leaving a line.

Wipe off nib with alcohol swab and make sure the tip isn’t bent, the two ‘fingers’ of the tip should meet at a point, either sharp or fat, depending on the nib. After using rinse in water and finish with another alcohol swab to not let ink dry on it, and don’t dip it in past the vent hole as that will only make a bigger mess to clean up.

Forgot to mention: Tilt the pen rearward 45° or so in direction of travel (which should be inline with slot of nib). Don’t hold it vertically as you would a tech pen.

That should get something going for you.