Unfinished but need encouragment!

Been working on this gouache (a very new medium for me) and and am really struggling. I have a tough time mixing colors and then either end up with too thick or too runny. Any types on improving at painting?
Thanks

5 Likes

I can’t help with tips on painting as I really struggle with mixing paints, but wanted to say I love this guy! I feel a little personality is in his expression.

I can’t help with painting either, as I’m mainly using graphite at the moment. All I can say is you have captured a delightful attitude of the animal. One of the main tips I’ve picked up from listening to and watching Matt and Ashley on Getting Sketchy is to have patience and not give up. I’m sure if you take it slow and steady, it will come together.

Thats so beautiful! I love the colors and general style of it. Great job!!!

2 Likes

I am another who does not paint in gouache but I do paint in acrylics (I am learning watercolor, gouache, water mixable oils, and drawing with inks) and find if things are not working to step away for a couple of days and just look at the piece until I can see a color or change that I want.

Sometimes I will start out trying for something realistic and it ends up somewhat abstract. If the project changes as you are working on it there is nothing wrong with that at all. It is all a progress.

You can also practice mixing your colors and how fluid you want them on scrap paper then go back to your project.

I think what you have done is really nice and as others have said you have captured the personality. I really like what you have done.

And as Matt says, practice. practice, practice!

Teri

yes - practice is key!

Hi June, I love what you have thus far…we are always our worst critics :wink:
The only thing i would suggest is take a day or two away, come back with fresh eyes. Ive found after a break things are better then i thought and i dont feel so overwhelmed, plus you come back with new ideas. I always get caught in trying to convey every detail and find myself getting flustered if its not exact like my subject/photo. Plus grasses are like kryptonight to me…lol.
Hang in there June, your cow is already showing us character and we love it!

Thanks! I was actually quite pleased with the final results - I do not paint very often and this was something out of my comfort zone

1 Like