Watercolor flower

My very first time to take on-line art lessons was in the spring of 2021 from Anna Mason. She teaches realistic watercolor painting (flowers are her specialty). I signed up for a month and learned a lot about how to control the paints, use really fine (small) brushes and Anna’s approach to completing complex multi-layered subjects. I finished 4 paintings in that month and then wanted to spread my wings and try something besides watercolor flowers.

I stumbled on The Virtual Instructor in October 2021 and plan to hang around as long as Matt is teaching. He gave me everything I was looking for including high quality instruction with lots of different media and varied subject matter. The Members Minute, and Live Lessons where you can chat real time are a huge bonus. And the price of membership is incredibly reasonable and affordable.

But I must admit that for one month every year I pop back over to Anna Mason. I just can’t resist that level of realism with watercolors. So here is a 15 hour painting that I just finished from one of Anna’s lessons.

Many have commented on the watercolor paintings I have done here, and I just thought I’d share the background of when I started to really learn how to use watercolors. But always remember, it is the practice that is the major ingredient to success, and it’s important to strive to keep learning.

Terri Robichon

8 Likes

This is gorgeous!. Love it.

1 Like

Hello Terri @robichon , that is great! Love the vibrant colors you were able to achieve with the watercolors.

Thanks for the background info. Your dedicated practice really is evident in your work. I will have to check out Anna. I have been watching a lot of Shelley Prior on YouTube who does a lot of realistic watercolor. You may want to give her a look as well, but not just flowers.

Lenet

1 Like

That is a most realistic flower it is so beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks Lenet. I’ll check that out.

I want to make it clear (for anyone reading this post) that I love it here at The Virtual Instructor. I just look to Anna to supplement a very specific area of interest that I had discovered before my membership here, and then I only go back at most for one month a year.

I’m also involved very heavily in digital scrapbooking, where I create a two-page digital scrapbook layout every single week and put it in an album called 52 weeks (having done this since 2012). This is where I put my “photo of the day” and tell the story of our life. This is actually the one thing I ALWAYS DO before devoting additional creative time to my artwork.

Terri Robichon

Such beautifully realistic flower! Your skills are simply amazing. I saw it when you posted it and can’t believe I hadn’t commented on it . I’m working on my oil rose. :flushed:

1 Like

Thanks so much Denise.

Thanks for your kind words.

Thanks Sonia. Hang in there with the rose. If you’re really frustrated, just start over. It might be easier since this is a small painting. Fighting that paper pallet must have been a nightmare.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

@robichon Might have to start over. It’s still as wet as yesterday when I started it. It’s been raining on top being previously humid, I guess that really affects the drying time. I’m tempted to burn it haha

Wow, Terri! That’s amazing!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your kind words.

Terri Robichon

So Terri, seeing your watercolor iris gave me new inspiration to try watercolors again. I’ve been drawing for just about 2 years with color pencils and pastels (pencils, sticks and pan). Last month I took several days to try watercolors. I mostly followed Matt’s tutorials, as well as several on YouTube. My frustration came with the feeling I had of “lack of control”. My son is a graphic artist and he always tells me, “Dad, you hafta loosen up”. But I’m a perfectionist and I like hyper realism. You just showed me that it can be done with watercolor. I’ll check out the gal you learned so much from. Also, I must mention that I’m impatient. Practice is so important. I can see how I continue to improve in my pastels, so I know watercolor won’t come overnight. Thanks for all your sharing. I learn so much from Matt’s critiques and from reading the comments.
Bill Potts

1 Like

Thanks Bill for your comments. I just stick to very detailed and controlled watercolor because that’s what makes me happy. Nice to hear that you like the same thing. I do like other media also and continue to stick to fine detail there as well.

Some suggestions regarding the watercolor: use good paper. My preference is 300# hot press watercolor paper. I usually buy Arches brand. Often it is only available in large sheets and is pricey. Then I cut it to the size I need when I start a new project. When painting always tape down all 4 sides of the paper from corner to corner. Finally you need good SMALL brushes for detail work. Silver Black Velvet brushes are by far my favorite. Have fun.

Terri Robichon

Terri - So you also work with pastels, do you use a fixative on your work? I do a lot of dog and cat portraits that I give to the owners. I don’t frame them so I feel I need to protect them. I’ve tried 3 fixatives and all seem to darken the colors and finer hair lines seem to almost disappear. What is your experience?
Thanks, Bill Potts

1 Like

My goal is no fixative and to get it in a frame with a double matt as soon as possible. If you use fixative keep as light a coat as possible, but none is better.

Terri Robichon

Hi Terri,

Your Iris is absolutely stunning. Irises were my mother’s favorite flowers and you triggered charming memories for me with this image. I am intrigued by botanical drawings. I have done most of the guided flower drawings on the Virtual Instructor. And I have been looking at the online drawing classes at the NYC Botanical Gardens, but they are a fortune! I will check out the other artist, which you referenced. Thanks very for posting this!

1 Like

Hi Emily. I’m wondering if you’ve tried any original artwork. If you’ve worked thru several lessons it may be time to spread your wings and try something without following a specific lesson.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas. This is slowly happening!