Who does urban sketching?

A quick urban sketch with pen and watercolor before work. Urban Sketching is new for me, so still trying to loosen up and still can’t get used to watercolour, but early days this is my first proper or what I consider a urban sketch - be nice! I know theres far better artists within this group lol

8 Likes

Very nice! The perspective is great. I like the colors you chose and love the sky.

1 Like

THank you so much. Its taken me so long to just step out and give it a proper go. WIll try another one later or tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree with @Artsygl, you captured the curve of the building perspective nicely! And I like the sketch people walking! Another awesome piece! (and please share that next one when you’re done :smile: )

1 Like

So good! Keep it up. How is it having people seeing you. that is what weirds me out about plein air painting. People! LOL!

Ok ok I cheated… A friend took this photo on their holiday and I thought it was a fab photo to practice… So unfortunately it wasn’t on location but a photo reference. Sorry to disappoint :rofl: however I did do a location Drawing on Saturday and it felt strange and weird :grinning::rofl:

1 Like

You didn’t cheat. LOL! I do mostly from photos. I have tried plein air a couple of times and I am very uncomfortable with it.

Wasn’t as good today :slight_smile: LOL Art can’t be good every day

2 Likes

It looks good. But, yes, I understand that art cannot be good every day. It seems like when I do something that I think is wonderful, my next piece is a real stinker. LOL!

1 Like

I’m feeling like that right now. Been Drawing consistently for 18 on this line work challenge and now think I’m going backwards :rofl:

Don’t be so down on your art, it looks nice! And if I remember correctly, this is the first open skyline-like one that you’ve done, so you have to give yourself credit! :smile:

1 Like

A few drawings over last few days :grinning::heart:

1 Like

They’re all excellent! I really like the corner building, how the edges fade off like that(and look at the street drain!) The last one of the coffee shop has very smooth colors(I’m assuming that’s a different medium than the others above it?) It’s so crisp, looks like something that could be in the background of an animation! Keep going with your style, it works! :clap: :houses::smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much :grinning::heart: the smooth crisp was was done on a scrap of paper from my bag as an idea… Here’s the quick drawing. What it meant was the Alcohol pens worked lovely on them, so that drawing and colouring was an experiment but it made me realise two things. 1. I need smoother paper and 2. The line drawing can be really rough and quick because it’s the colours that make it into a drawing…

1 Like

Oh, that’s cool! Experimenting for the win! :baggage_claim: Glad that you’ve become more confident with the lines! :smile:

1 Like

I am really loving it now knowing I’m getting better and better :grinning::heart:

2 Likes

First rule! Never judge or compare your art to others except strictly as a learning tool. There is no better or worse there is only different.
I like your work, looks great! Could you do better? That is only for you to decide…where do you want it to go from here? I don’t do this type of art but would be happy with those results if I did.

2 Likes

Solid advice, Mr. @Dale ! :100: :smile: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you so much Dale. I think I am just going to keep going and keep sketching. I have been doing this style of drawing for 24 days so far and I am have come a long way and enjoying it. Learning and experimenting as I go :slight_smile: Here is a glimpse of my journey in the last 24 days show day 1 - Day 24 in 5 images…

2 Likes

With advances like that, it isn’t going to be good it is going to be awesome!