Working on perspective

Had fun with this one. My vision was to have only the one building, trees, and a couple others things darker. Then some "sketchy buildings and stuff. Thoughts?

7 Likes

June,

Is this from a reference or imagination? Either way I think whatever you do it will look great!

Possibly since you are using pen and ink you may want to do it all the same way, since ink is a bit more structured.

If you did this from a reference a little advice, from imagination I have no problems but from a reference with 3-point perspective I have issues.

Looking great, can’t wait to see it finished!

Teri

Hello June @junenez, I like the looseness of the marks you made on this one. I do agree with Teri, pen and ink is typically thought to be more structured. However, your general looseness overall makes the drawing work, yet be less structured. It does have a feel of “weightedness” on the righthand side with the trees. I might would add a little extra value on the otherside, but maybe only to the adjacent building, but selectively so that the whole drawing would seem to need more ink to complete. I wold fade the value on that 2nd building. Maybe darken window lines, fading intensity as you proceed to the left. I would not necessarily render that building, but maybe a hint of texture close to the main building. Maybe keep that additional value to about 1/2 of the main building. Just to add a little visual weight to the left of center. You have the height there to compensate for the difference in value, just think it needs a little more subtle transition.

Lenet

Hi June @junenez

This is well done. Thanks for sharing.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Very well done. Love it.

1 Like

Great suggestions! I decided to let it be and move on to a new one. I am hoping to take some photos of my town and try again. This was a random photo I found and I don’t know where it is. I also am going to go thru some of the Matt’s many lessons on perspective. So stay tuned!

2 Likes

Well, June, I love it. If you were going for a finished piece to frame, you could work on it “til the cows come home!” However, since this is a “working on” piece, I feel you did an amazing job. The one, fully-rendered building is beautiful, and I love the addition of the trees.

I think the idea of a finished piece using buildings in your town is a terrific idea. Maybe even with colored inks? Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Brenda

1 Like

Thanks Brenda and you made me laugh with the cow comment. I like the idea of color. I shall have to try that next!

2 Likes

Nice job June, I agree with Lenet, I like the looseness. It really reminds me of another artist I follow on Youtube, if you haven’t seen his work I think you would like it. His name is Martin Lachmair, his specialty is city scapes in ink with a watercolor wash he’s really good.

1 Like

Hi Ron -
Thanks for sharing the YouTube name of Martin Lachmair. I took a quick look and I like his style.

Terri Robichon

@June @lenetg137 June I think that Lenet has given you some good advice. i look forward to see it finished.

Teri

@junenez
June,

Another thought on what lenet said. To balance you could also create another tree on the left side peeking with just the canopy peeking out about the same height or a little higher on the left side like it is planted on the front corner not seen opposite of the other trees you have created.

That would be an easy fix for the weight, and you can keep your buildings in the same style getting a little less detailed in the distance.

Teri

Teri - all great ideas but I am done with this one. This was a quick one done in an art class I am taking. I totally meant to leave mostly unfinished. I did intentionally leave the right side heavy to hopefully send the eye off the page. Maybe it wasn’t successful? And just wanted to practice working on perspective. But my next one - I will incorporate all the wonderful suggestions!

Thanks - June

1 Like

@junenez

June, if this was your goal then I believe that you are very successful!!!

Teri

Did a colorful one from imagination. Haha

3 Likes

Way to go, June! Very urban-sketching-ish! And I like it very much! I applaud you for working from your imagination!

Brenda

Hi June -

That’s one colorful city you have. I can’t do anything from imagination. Looks like it was so much fun.

Terri Robichon

Wow June,

I really like the colors and how you created your drawing of the buildings.

So much fun! Could see this in a children’s book!

I need to follow in your footsteps and work on perspective, it is definitely one of my weakest areas of art.

Teri (with 1R)