Apache in graphite

I shared this with one of the other members recently, but I am so proud of him that I wanted to share it with all of you. I came across several photographs taken in the late 1800s early 1900s. This one of an Apache man stuck with me so I decide to draw him in graphite (with a couple of white charcoal highlights) on tan toned paper. It was very difficult to photograph properly as it looks a little grainier than the original. My brother-in-law really liked it, so I gave it to him. I am hoping to produce more of these soon, but for now I am attempting a watercolor of a different subject.

7 Likes

This is wonderful. Cant wait to see the water color.

That is beautiful! Good job!

I really like this! Was this from a photo? The values (to me) are spot on. You can see the roughness of the skin, the grey in the hair, and the leather band around the forehead. The eyes are beautifully done.

Hi! I like your comment about the eyes. I must have drawn and redrawn them up to a dozen times before I was happy with the result. Yes, this is from a photograph by Edward S. Curtis who took hundreds of photographs of Native tribes during the last part of the 19th century and the first few years of the 1900s. I am hoping to draw some more of Hopi people and other Native tribes.

Thanks GInny. It means a lot coming from someone like you who always produce such beautiful drawings and paintings.

Thank you Lori. I haven’t decided what the subject will be. That is my biggest problem. I find inspiration in so many things and then I can’t quite select one to tackle. May be I should take up Maki’s challenge (see her post with some of her photographs).

Excellent work. I aspire to be able to produce similar drawings

Thats a great work! Not a novice work.

Thank you. I saw in your profile that you picked up art to deal with some issues. It is true that, even when we don’t achieve what we thought, the process of creating art is, to my view, always very zen. I can’t wait to see your art posted in the forum.

Thank you Don! I am still at the beginning stages in my art exploration, but I can say that thanks to Matt, I am making constant progress. I look forward to seeing your own art posted on the forum.

Looks antique yet sophisticated. Very nice painting.

Thank you! It was my first drawing created outside of Matt’s lessons; I am really pleased with it. I have been very busy so I haven’t had much time for new drawings, but I am hoping to devote a bit more time during the winter months. I have looked at your YouTube videos and it is obvious that you are no amateur. I like your last post of the child.

1 Like