Calico cat & butterfly

Cats are pretty expressive and they often make surprisingly funny faces. In the reference photo I used to draw this work the cat is on alert against a human hand as it is yet to be socialized. It makes a face like this and I wanted to capture this expression. But I have altered the situation so that this work will become more like an illustration.

The cat, the butterflies, and the background lighting were prepared separately and were combined using photoshop. I have been wondering how I can draw the brown fur more efficiently without using too many lines because the overuse of lines tends to make the work look noisy especially when you are working on a pretty small work. While drawing this calico cat, I have learned that adding some fine lines going along with the flow of the fur is good enough. I will try this approach next time I draw a ginger cat.

11 Likes

Wow, looks pretty creative! :cat::cat::cat::cat:

1 Like

Fantastic Job. Well Done.

1 Like

Thank you Logan! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you Denise! :cat:

Anytime, Maki. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Browsing your website…you are in Tokyo? have you done your exhibit yet?

1 Like

oops…Spring 2020…Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you Isabel ! :slight_smile:

Your cat’s expression is VERY familiar! We have one cat that jumps up on the cat tree and takes that stance when he’s totally hyperactive and wants us to chase him lol! Well done!

1 Like

Thank you Rain, your comment on your cat always makes me jealous…anyways, you can see the model cat in this video, around 4:33.

1 Like

The cat in that video looks thoroughly freaked out! You definitely captured his or her emotions! One day soon I’ll post photos of my pets along with the charcoals I’ve drawn!

1 Like

Expressive artwork with lots of fun in it. Just lovely :ok_hand: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, Debojyoti, glad you like it! :+1: