Colored pencils = sore wrist

I just finished the lesson in the colored pencil course that involves drawing a green cube. My wrist is aching. I knew colored pencils would be a lot of hard work, but the heavy pressure was more stressful than I realized. And this was to draw a small green cube!

Now I’m not so sure this will be the right medium for me. At the very least, I’ll have to take it slow.

Anybody else have a similar problem?

1 Like

If you put too much pressure on the any pencil it will pain you in the wrist and fingers. I suggest to put less pressure and build up the color.

Please post a picture of what you did here. I agree that pressure will definitely make your wrist ache. Since the picture did not show up, if you post it, maybe someone could give you a better critique.
ArtistLittleNora (Lenora)

Keep going. Your wrist will get stronger and you will not be bothered anymore. Also, work for under 1 hour at a time or at least take breaks to walk around or stretch. Good luck!!

Thanks. Yeah I just need to be mindful and not work away without stopping to check for soreness. I have finished the exercise on the red peppers, and what I’ve learned is that colored pencils take a lot of time and effort. And the end result was mediocre, though I learned some things along the way. The experience is food for thought.

I sympathise with you dnuttle, although my problem with using the prisma color pencils was completing the background. It was not my wrist that caused the problem, but my shoulder! It creaked and groaned all the way. I have decided that I will not use that method of coloring background! Instead I might use a water-colour wash at varying depth of value. Recently I checked out an Australian colour pencil artist who combines pen and ink background for context and colours his focus subject. His name is Chris Holland. I am hoping I might do something the same as I develop my interests.

I completely understand your challenge and have similuar problems with torned tenses in my shoulder. IMO: best way ist to built up lots and lots of layers and take your time! Yes, colored pencils are time consuming, but I find it more relaxing than “consuming” my time.

I guess: Anyhow, less pressure and brakes could work best.

In addition: Matt gave me the advice to use Pan Pastels for the background. I just started to try this on PastelMat. It’s less time consuming and seems to work perfekt along with oil-based colored pencils.

Well, having been a ceramicist for ten years, and being 72 years old, I can tell you that being kind to all body parts is essential to doing satisfying work. Set a timer on your work station for 90 minute intervals. When it goes off, stop. Stretch. Move around. Drink some water. Go back to work. Be kind to yourself. Art should not hurt.

1 Like

Have you gone to an Orthopedist to make sure you don’t have a rotor-cuff injury?

It wouldn’t be a rotator cuff injury in the wrist but it could be carpal tunnel syndrome which may be what you meant.

I have found that certain papers require harder pressure with colored pencils. I love cp but wanted to avoid sore hand and wrist so what has worked for me is working on drafting film. I use a very light touch and built many layers. For papers with tooth, I have found very sharp pencils put down color more easily. I use Lightfast paper when not using Grafix drafting film.

I have been working with colored pencils for a few months. I don’t think my result has been mediocre! Granted, they take a LOT of patience but the results have been rewarding. The colors have a vibrancy that’s hard to get in other media. I did Matt’s kingfisher and then branched out to other birds. My drawings spent a lot of time on the china cabinet where I can look at them and decide if they are finished. Patience is the key.

1 Like