Fitzsimmon Creek

Landscape in coloured pencils, prismacolor premier in Moleskin sketchbook, image size 6-1/2" x 5". I have attached the photo reference. I started the sketch on site and completed it at home. I took liberty with the rocks and trees in the foreground.
Any comments for improvement are welcome, I feel like I constantly struggle to get depth in my landscapes. Maybe the treeline in the back should be darker and not sure why my grass in the front of the trees is so light. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are great. Wonder job.

1 Like

Really nice @dorothy.anne ! I agree that swapping the greens may help convey the depth a bit more, but it’s still awesome the way it is!

1 Like

Thanks for the input, I don’t know what colours I could layer on top of the trees to make them look darker and less distinct without them blending in to the ones in front. I will keep it like this and remember for next time. Another lesson learned. :grinning:

1 Like

Over all I think the piece is wonderful. A few points that stand out to me for next time. You have room for a lot more detail in the foreground and fade the details out as you get closer to the trees. Your mountains are a bit too strong and they command presence. Where as in the photo you see them but they are soft and a bit washed out. makes them appear further away and not so big in the picture. The perspective, in that area is a bit off. .

Nice! Wonderful colors. I also struggle with the same concept but do know it is all in the shading. What helps me sometimes is looking at it in black and white so I can make sure I have the correct contrast - if that makes sense.

Oh, I see that now that you point it out. Thank you, I will remember that for my next one. I really appreciate the input.

I do try the black and white thing, but still a struggle, hopefully will get better over time. Thank you for the input, I really am grateful for the tips!