Gettin Sketchy - Edward Hopper 10/4

Yikes - those folds! Don’t mind my coffee cup

4 Likes

Well done June, it was quite hectic and as per usual very messy.

However I can see clear improvement since last week. I have taped my paper. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Now that looks like a handkerchief! Lol. good job. I didn’t tape my paper cause I was trying to find light blue paper and he had already started! I love these quick sketches and even when mine don’t turn out, I have drawn something!

I love your coffee mug better. I didn’t have the grey paper, had to go with corn yellow. I’m also having problems with developing darker colours. It was hard to achieve a good looking grey on a cup. But as you said, it was lovely 45 minutes and we did something artwise at the end. :heart:

You did an awesome job June! I have the photo reference printed out, ready to start a timer tomorrow and get it done!

I don’t know if you saw my note on the chat, but I learned to do folds by draping a sheet over a door and using the gray scale to find all the folds, highlights and shadows.

Brenda

Looks good, Janar! I’m anxious to do mine tomorrow!

Brenda

1 Like

Please don’t feel anxious Brenda, remember what Matt said - this should be a lose sketch. Try and have some fun/respite from very precise inking or even better, use it as a warm up. Go wild, there is no failing, there is only a very unique art piece at the end of it. And it’s going to be great. I can’t wait to see it.

1 Like

Here’s my getting sketchy. My napkin/handkerchief looks like a pan dulce or something… but sure loved doing it. I did mine after the live getting sketchy ended.

1 Like

Oh wow Sonia, I love the contast in light and shadow. You have done really well. As Ashley said, Hopper simplified a lot in his paintings. It’s good to accept the fact there is not that much detail to be achieved when using oil pastels. I bet your sketch underneath would tell a full story. Be proud :wink:

Congrats to everyone who tried this AND saw it through to the end. I think mine is fairly pitiful and sad, and not in the same way that Hopper’s paintings might have looked at times. Looking at it at least 6 feet away, I at least think it looks like a cup of coffee. I’m not sure about that napkin. Another regret is that I didn’t tape my edges.

By the way June, I finished shortly after Ashley finished his beautiful work. I’d say I may have spent an entire hour.

Brenda

3 Likes

Great job Brenda! Maybe we need a live lesson with some folds in it! I am not sure I have the patience!

1 Like

@Brenda,

I really think yours and mine look alike?! …again :grin:

1 Like

That might be a good idea, June. Revisiting folds and draping might be good for me. I sure can’t do a very good job of it with oil pastels!!! LOL!

Brenda

A little bit late but here’s my contribution to the Hopper sketch. I think thishas been one of the best Getting sketchy seasons. I like all the ones that I see posted here.

4 Likes

You did really good! Very good control on oil pastels! :hugs:

@jcfuller I agree! I love this season of Gettin’ Sketchy! You did a great job on the oil pastel.

Brenda

2 Likes

Wow! Everyone’s looks so good. Makes me want a cup of coffee. Nice job on the folds everyone.

Teri

James and Brenda, I totally agree that the theme for this season of Gettin Sketchy is great. I’ve just been watching most of them but have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you who posted.

Terri Robichon