Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello everyone. I’m Birgitte. I’ve dabbled with graphite and pastels in the past and haven’t done much in the past few years. I’m finally picking up graphite again and will get back to pastels too. I’ve been watching a lot of the “Getting Sketchy” YouTube videos and I have picked up so much information from these. I hope soon to have the time to take on the lessons as well. :smile:

2 Likes

Hello Helen and welcome :hugs:
U will definitely find your way here with everything you need to know. Lots of helpful people here!
I think I’m in the same boat as you, in the sense I see myself as a beginner (self taught) usually I use YouTube videos and learn as I go along, and finally found my way to here. I would recommend to put the notifications on on YouTube cuz every week they have a live “getting sketchy” stream where u can learn a lot and ask all your questions.
Anyway, good luck to you and hope you enjoy it here as much as I do :blush:

-SlippyPaints :orange_heart:

1 Like

Welcome Brigitte, hope you have a great time here, it’s a group of wonderful people ready to help you if necessary :blush: I love the getting sketchy videos as well and lately I try to catch ‘em all, although my holidays are coming up now. Good luck with your work and looking forward to see some of it :hugs:

-SlippyPaints :orange_heart:

1 Like

Hello @MeBJ ! Welcome! There’s a thread dedicated to graphite art on here, so whenever your ready to share(or you could do a brand new thread :upside_down_face: ) Can’t wait to see your work! Jesus loves you!!!

Hello Hellen. Welcome to the community. I have watched many YouTube videos and have not found clearer explanation on the basics of creating artwork in every medium. The Virtual Instructor Membership is worth every last dime spent and more. You’ll learn everything you need to know so you can develop as your own artist style with support. My favorite part of the membership is the weekly critique. I went back and watched all of them from the beginning, some of them more than once.

I have also learned from the other artist here, as others have said this is a warm and comfortable community with people who experienced and willing to help you on your journey.

Again, welcome and look forward to seeing some of your artwork as you learn.

Teri

Hi,

Thank you so very much. I look forward to the exploration of art and it’s many wonderful mediums.

I think I’ll start with basic drawings and work myself into realism. I can only imagine how long that journey will be, but it’s the joy of the experiences and not the length of time—so I’m ready.

I’m really glad to be here.

Helen

2 Likes

Aww thank you. I love Jesus too.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful tips SlippyPaints. I will be sure to do that. Thank you for the warm welcoming.

Helen

1 Like

Hi everyone. I am currently a school administrator who started as an art teacher 35 years ago. Within the last 2 years I have picked up my drawing tools and found Matt’s courses to be really helpful and motivating. I am learning so much from all the members critiques and art that is being shared. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

3 Likes

Hi @mjomaynard ! Glad to hear you’re learning! I look forward to seeing your art as well! Thank you for being a part of the community! Jesus loves you!!!

Hello everybody. I am Anthony. I am new in drawing. I am interseted in pencil drawing. This week I became a member of the The Virtual Instructor. I am very happy with this membership.

3 Likes

Anthony, Welcome to the forum as well as the Virtual Instructor membership. It is the best decision I made this last year. There is so much to learn it can be difficult to know where to start. All the basic drawing courses teach and reinforce the basic elements of drawing. I started with the secret to drawing, then went on to Pencil drawing the guide to graphite, and after that 25 days to better drawing. I am now going through portrait drawing the right way and hope to soon get to realistic pencil drawing.

I look forward to seeing some of your artwork soon. There is a thread for just graphite drawing and wonderful encouraging support on the forum. I think my favorite part of the membership is the weekly critique, I have watched all of them and learned so much and continue learning more about composition, value, use of colors, etc.

Again welcome!

Teri

1 Like

Thank you for your comments. I will try to follow the tread for graphite drawing. I would like to learn the shadows (values) with pencil drawing.
Thank you again

Anthony

Hello there, and welcome @Anthony ! I think @TLP covered the gist of the site and forum(thank you!) I also can’t wait to see what you bring to this awesome community, and we’ll be right there to root you on! Jesus loves you!!!

Thank you for your kind words. I am working on pencil drawings of a tree and a leaf. I think I will present them in the section of graphite drawings.
I would like to have a good critique of these. I think it will help me more to develop this skill.
Jesus loves and blesses you too!!!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum! I’m very new here as well but find it an amazing place to learn, share and talk to people :slight_smile: hope you have a great time!
Can I ask what kind of art you teach? It’s pretty cool either way but I’m curious :slight_smile:

• SlippyPaints :orange_heart:

Hi and welcome to this amazing place :slight_smile: like you I’m very new but I feel I learned a ton in the short time I’m here. The membership is so good… there’s so much stuff to explore. I usually draw with pencils too (it’s my comfort zone) but seeing all these other mediums definitely makes me wanna try explore more in the near future. I really wanna learn to paint oil portraits for example.
Anyway, welcome!

• SlippyPaints :orange_heart:

Hi Terria here. I’ve been messing around with drawing and painting for a couple of years but have no training or schooling. Have decided to get serious about it but tend to get frustrated when the computer becomes involved… Looking forward to using this sight

1 Like

Hi there @taleo12 ! This is a great place to continue your artistic journey, we give each other feedback and encouragement :smile: And you know what, self-taught training counts, so I can’t wait to see your work! Jesus loves you!!!

Hi Everyone. My name is Ken and I’ve actually been a member for a year. I have enjoyed drawing for many years, but have been self-conscious about it. My first wife was an artist and her father was an art teacher. I shared some of my art with my wife and she was very bothered that I had talent without any training. I eventually gave it up due to the competition that it drove in her. We ended up divorced but I did not get back into art. I got married again and my second wife found out I used to draw so she got me a bunch of supplies and encouraged me to get back into art. I am so grateful she did. Then I found the Virtual Instructor site. What a treasure trove! Thank you Matt, Ashley and this community!!! I have now posted one of my pieces and am more comfortable sharing my art with family and friends. Trying different media and subjects thanks to Gettin’ Sketchy and the live lessons. This is such a great place!

2 Likes