Sitting Bull in carbon pencil and white charcoal

After visiting New Mexico, my interest in the old west was revitalized. When I returned home I found a very old picture of Chief Sitting Bull online. Even though I’m more of a photographer than an artist I thought I’d experiment to see how well I could mimic the look of the B/W photo. I used tan toned paper to provide a starting point for his face. I used carbon pencils and white charcoal for the image and gray charcoal for the background. Overall I was pleased with the result. Let me know what you think.

9 Likes

This is really nice. I’ve never used carbon pencils, but they appear to go nicely with the white charcoal. Those feathers look so soft. I think it was a great idea to use the paper the way you did for the skin tones. Great job!

This was an experiment. I’ve not used this combination before. I first drew this with graphite pencils on white paper, but I couldn’t get a strong enough black/white contrast. I tried again using the carbon pencils. They allow deeper, richer blacks which contrast nicely with the white charcoal. My technique with the media can be improved. I learned a lot about what to do and how not to do it. Thanks for your encouragement and feedback.

1 Like

This is great. I love it

Thanks Denise. You’re always so encouraging. I appreciate it.

That’s awesome! All the textures came out really nice! Thank you for sharing! :grin: