Trimming challenge

As part of my works to be exhibited at a tree drawings show in Sep, I decided to try a white pen drawing on a black paper.
This is the first one.

I did not know that a white pen work on a black paper could be so quickly completed. This is so helpful because I need to add a lot more new works because I will show my drawings at two venues.

The problem is the title. I wanted to find an appropriate term which means “the beauty that appears by omitting unnecessary things” or “the beauty that appears by looking at the subject from a different angle”, something like that.
I want to find a right word for this because this is how I came up with the design of this drawing.
This is the reference photo I used for this piece:

After a few trimming trials, I thought this part would make an interesting composition:

I think I could find some more different ways to trim this photo to come up with right designs for my drawings.
So it is very likely that I will make this a series of artworks focusing on the beauty or compositional/values balance interestingness that come out by trimming.
If anybody could kindly suggests a nice word for this concept, I would be most grateful. :pray: :pray::cat2: :smiley:

1 Like

Bare-bones (minimalist) beauty might work?
Patricia.

1 Like

slice of life? up close? fill in the blanks?

1 Like

Hello June,
:open_mouth: so many ideas which I’d never have come up with!!!
Thank you so much for your suggestions! :tada: :+1: :laughing:

:open_mouth: wow, that is something I’d never thought of…
How would “the barebones” alone sound, I mean, without “beauty”?
Because if I add “beauty”, I feel it might sound a bit expositive as if I am trying to guide you to find beauty there. Only “the bare-bones” would sound more neutral. I hope I am making sense. :laughing:

I will use this frame & mat for this piece. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You are making perfect sense. I think bare-bones sounds just right. I believe it is usually written with a hyphen or in 2 words.
Keep creating!
Patricia.

1 Like

Hidden truth? Very nice piece, it almost looks like it glows on the black paper! :smile: :clap:

1 Like

Hi TheMustardSeedLife, thank you so much for your kind words. That caption sounds very cool!!! I’d never have thought of such a title! :open_mouth: :tada: :tada: :smiley: :smiley: :cat:

1 Like

Hi Maki, This drawing is beautiful, I love how you simplified it from the original image. I am always trying to draw trees out in our beautiful Rocky Mountains and it is so difficult. I also think less is more sometimes because I struggle to get all the details in. Would you mind if I used your drawing to try and copy it? It would just be for my own sketchbook. It takes all my courage just to post here on this site! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Dorothy, thank you so much for your kind words! I’m glad that you appreciate my process. The designing phase is always critical for bringing success to your artworks. You mean that you want to use this work for your drawing practice? Then, no problem at all. That is something I do when I want to try new techniques. I look for reference works on Instagram, Pinterest and so on, and when I find something intriguing, I print it off and try drawing the same thing copying the techniques that the artist uses. Other artists’ drawings, rather than photos, often make really helpful references for learning specifically how to approach particular subjects. Good luck! :cat: :tada: :+1:

Thank you Maki, I always have difficulty trying to figure out how to interpret the photo into a drawing. I will post in this thread to show you how it turns out when I have completed it.

1 Like

I think that this is probably going to be your “Bare Bones” series for this show. You could then give subsidiary titles, ie giving the kind of tree this was or calling it Sam or Bill, whatever. Beautiful work. It does glow.

1 Like

Looking back at your reference photo, I see at least a couple more drawings. The twisting of the wood grain in the lower part of the trunk could interpreted beautifully by you.

1 Like

Hello Jane, thank you so much for your comment. Exactly, I’ve been thinking about the subsidiary titles and thought that something simply like "the Bare-bones, #1, #2…"might work. This is because the point of doing this series is to find and bring out the compositional interestingness and values balance from one particular photo, and there’s nothing more, therefore the series will be something pretty dry. Then there will be no need for so dramatic subtitles. I don’t know, I will think about it. :smiley: :cat: :+1:

Nature’s essence popped into my mind, or just essence

1 Like

Realy think that the whit pen on black was nice, only really having to capture highlights and midtones. I think an interesting composition could come from the “hand shaped” branches at the bottom of the triangle. I’m sure you could do something amazing with your creativity.

1 Like

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: That sounds pretty cool! Thank you for sharing your idea, Sue! :tada: :laughing: :laughing: :cat:

Hello Lenet, thank you so much for your comment. I have been fiddling with this photo using photoshop trying to find interesting compositions. It is very likely that I will use the particular part you point out! :+1: :cat: :tada:

I was thinking in terms of shows since I had just hung 2. It makes life easier for the hanger and the viewer if there is something more than Bare Bones 1 through 16. Your drawings are certainly show worthy.