Designing a coaster

In addition to the tree drawing show at a local gallery & café, I’m going to join another show in Sep. It is a “coaster exhibition” at a coffee shop in NYC. It is the same coffee shop where I joined a postcard show last year. Looks like the organiser is going to keep working with this venue so that their events get more popularity in the local area.

I am supposed to submit two coaster designs for the show.
As the first one, I wanted to use this drawing:

Then I edited this piece using photoshop to create a coaster design like this:

How does it look?

4 Likes

OH MY!!! This is wonderful. And even better is that the two kittens in your drawing look just like my current cats did when they were young.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Thank you Terri, I would like to move to a test print as soon as possible, so getting feedback so quickly really helps. Do the words included in the design make sense? I’ve been taking care of my mother for these couple of years, and my current life is so different from the days when I had a total control over my own time that I could use freely. I felt it so frustrating for a while, but as I get accustomed to this life style, I realised that I am actually receiving more from the experience living with somebody who totally depends on me. So on the surface, I am the giver and my mother is the taker, but it is actually vice versa. I’ve been looking for a simple way to put it, and the words in the coaster design are the one I could come up with. Do you think of anything better???

The phrase “my current cats” makes me crazy with envy. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Maki -
I totally understand and like the words on the coaster. My story is somewhat like yours. I became my sisters legal guardian in October last year. She has Down Syndrome and early-onset Alzheimer’s. I also know that I get much more than I give. I think several people could relate to those words in some way.

Regarding the cats, my husband and I have always had 2 cats and 2 dogs (except for a crazy time when we actually had 3 dogs and 3 cats). Don’t you have any cats?

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I love this, Maki. I took care of my mom for a time some years ago before she passed away. I know exactly what you’re trying to convey. I love your work.

Brenda

1 Like

My 20 year old daughter has Down Syndrome! :heart_eyes:

Hi Sonia -

It’s amazing to find out how we have various things in common with others here. Does your daughter live at home with you? My sister is now 63 and has been living in institutions or group homes since she was 2 yrs old. Early on-set Alzheimer’s is extremely common with those that have Down Syndrome. They started watching for it when my sister was in her mid-forties.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

Your work is original, amazing, and professional. I really think you have a gift and passion for what you do, and it truly reflects that.

3 Likes

Yes, she lives at home with husband and I, plus a dog and the neighbor’s cat that learned to come and go or stay lol through our doggie door as he pleases. Our two sons are adults also and on their own. She’s still going to school for her final year in her school career to a program for development of life skills through which she has a small job at a fast food place one day a week, for a few hours.
She’s the one I want to try a portrait of but can’t decide on color pencils or soft pastels :grin:

Yes, you definitely should do her portrait. I bet she would love it, and so would you. Did you see the portrait I did of my sister? Matt did a Members Minute critique of it last December (episode 407). I did it as a black & white image because that was easier for me, and I did it with colored pencils. Mine was just a 5 x 7 so it didn’t overwhelm me. But pastels would have been a good option too.

Is your daughter like my sister - so loving and happy. Anne will walk up to strangers and say ‘I love you’ even if she never met them before, giving them a bit hug.

Terri Robichon

1 Like

I will definitely look for your sister’s portrait on the critique site.
My squirrel brain is all over the place constantly moving and looking from one thing to another in all the different lessons on TVI. Mixing, matching and sketching either with pastels or graphite and everything I can get my hands on, until something sticks and commit to do a more complicated piece.
My daughter is at a rebel teenage-diva stage where everyone and everything is aggravating to her (especially her mother). She’s affectionate only with certain people, I don’t really know what’s her criteria for being super sweet to a person, however she’s always been a mama’s girl. Very organized and neat. She’s a schedule, weather, calendar, make her bed no matter what, birthday oriented kind of girl.

1 Like

I like it a lot. Cute kittens!

1 Like

These are adorable. I am sure it will be good for the shows. Love them.

1 Like

Maki,
I think the art and the presentation are terrific. I can appreciate the sentiment. I am my daughter’s caregiver, she became disabled 13 years ago and as you say life was very different before. I just haven’t managed to utilize my “free” time.
Your art is always great but this speaks volumes.
Linda

1 Like

@robichon @Brenda @Meme5 @Denise @LindaE @OmaDevi41

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. Looks like the concept of this coaster design is relatable for many people. I will submit this one to the show organiser without changing anything. The deadline for submission is 17 Aug and by then I need to submit 5 designs, not 2, according to the submission guideline they provide because they are going to prepare a coaster design catalogue. So I must start working on the remaining 4 as soon as possible.

Well, looking at my mother in the current conditions(osteoporosis, cerebral infarction, femoral neck fracture, dementia), I often think of Viktor Frankl’s “Attitudinal Values”. As long as I can remember, I once read a book by Frankl, in which he picked up an episode of an eminent ad designer whom he met in the concentration camp. The designer lost all the possibilities of creating wonderful ads, in which sense, he seemed to have lost the most important values he could provide. But when he came close to death, he showed compassion to one of his fellow prisoners in the camp by sharing his food. The value that the designer materialized by choosing such an attitude as a human facing the difficult situation v.s. the value that he might have achieved as a designer, Frankl thought that the former was way larger and more profound.

Our values are something far beyond what we do. My mother was a very active person being involved in so many “productive” activities, and now it is totally opposite. But look at the faces of the people who support her now. They are all full of quiet satisfaction and fulfillment. Because they know that they are doing what they are meant to do. Then I realise how right Marcus Aurelius was when he wrote that humans are made to be supportive to others. “Eyes don’t demand any gratitude for seeing as they are made to see. Humans are made to be kind to others, so just move, be kind to others and don’t demand anything in return.” -he wrote in Meditations. So working as a caregiver is being given opportunities to fulfill one of the purposes of our own existence. The opportunities per se are a good enough source of satisfaction, but when it is combined with a positive attitude of the care recipient, like my mother shows, something quite precious and valuable is generated there.

Come to think of it, I did deal with a similar subject in my previous animation “the sea of kahya”. It is a 2019 film and my mother was still in a perfect condition then, so probably I had something different in mind which motivated me to make this film.

Harvey considers himself useless after going through a series of failures at the audition. But Kahya lets him know that it is not his accomplishments but his attitude toward difficulties that encourages her to try new things. Gosh, I also remembered that I had another episode of this series in my to-do list…

Anyways, thank you again for all your feedback to this product design and your stories. It has been a really good food for thought. I will keep this in mind when designing the remaining 4 coasters.

Terri(@robichon),

As to cats, I don’t have any for myself. I used to do in my childhood, a very very adorable, smart little shiny black girl cat, but there was a traffic accident when I was ten years old. I haven’t had my own cat since then. I have been yearning to have one (or as many as possible), but once I learned about the activities of “Flatbush Cats”, a NY-based cat rescue NPO, I cannot decide if it is really a good choice to have cats on a personal level. If I can spend some money for keeping cats, why don’t I use it to support the activities of this kind of organisations? They are now working to build an excellent facility which can provide well-rounded support(medical, nutritious, birth-control) that every cat requires. They are trying to address the root cause of the problem that unhappy cats are made. I always melt when I see cats and I know that I will be extraordinarily happy if I get my own cats, but whether THEY will be happy to have me as their cat mom is another story. There are some groups working for cats well-being here in my home town too, so I may want to support their activities and enjoy the company of their cats instead of keeping some cats to myself. Watching this video by Flatbush Cats has made me think that fostering might be the right choice for me:

1 Like

Wonderful! as always!!! When/where is the show in NYC? I live near there and always love an excuse to take the train in for the day.

2 Likes

June, Wouldn’t it be great if we could both be there? Although. I have no current plans to travel after an upcoming trip to Santa Fe, NM, in about 10 days. Next time I visit the NYC kids, though, we’ll have to make plans!

I will, however, get the coaster show information to my son and daughter-in-law in Brooklyn so they can maybe check out the show! They love things like this and both have careers in the arts.

Brenda

1 Like

Hello @junenez @Brenda , thank you so much for your kind words!

The location of the show is PRINCIPLES GI COFFEE HOUSE.
Their website is here.
The show schedule is 15~28 Sep, but it may change a bit, the organiser says.
The coasters will be used on your tables to serve coffee, and will be exhibited on the wall too.
It would be wonderful if you could actually come to the show!
I’ll keep you updated on the details of the show :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :tada: :+1:

1 Like

Hi Maki -

Now I know why you often have included black cats in your artwork. The video was wonderful. I’ve never “fostered” any cats. I did have one kitten that came to the door on a cold november day, that didn’t seem to have any problem with our big dogs. We took him in and called him LUCKY, which is how we ended up with 3 cats at one point in time, instead of our typical pair of cats. After that when one of our cats passed away, we went to the local shelter to adopt our new kitten. So both of the cats we have now came from the shelter. However you obtain a pet, for whatever the length of time, it is such a satisfying experience. They are a part of the family and will forever occupy a portion of your heart.

Terri Robichon

3 Likes

Hi Terri, thank you so much for your reply. Adopting cats have long been on my mind and if I would ever have my own cats, adopting from some cats shelters would be my option. But they set an extremely high criteria for the adopters and I’m afraid I may not meet their requirements. On the other hand, it is much easier to support them by donation, volunteering, often using their cat-cafes etc. I’ll keep thinking about it. :smiley: :tada: :cat:

2 Likes